Grub Error 15/22...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BananasInPajamas

Grub Error 15/22...

Post by BananasInPajamas »

I tried deleting the Linux Partitions from the disk so that I could have just Vista. When I rebooted, I got error 22 from the GRUB. I tried to reinstall linux, but now I get error 15 instead. Any ideas on how to fix it? I don't know how to or what to do.

Edit: When I deleted the linux partitions, I tried running a burned Windows CD, but it wont work. I tried burning a new Linux CD, it wont work. Only one Linux CD works, no other CD works. It keeps taking me to Error 22.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gcampton

Re: Grub Error 15/22...

Post by gcampton »

BananasInPajamas wrote:I tried deleting the Linux Partitions from the disk so that I could have just Vista. When I rebooted, I got error 22 from the GRUB. I tried to reinstall linux, but now I get error 15 instead. Any ideas on how to fix it? I don't know how to or what to do.

Edit: When I deleted the linux partitions, I tried running a burned Windows CD, but it wont work. I tried burning a new Linux CD, it wont work. Only one Linux CD works, no other CD works. It keeps taking me to Error 22.
Yea what happens is because linux runs grub, and you delete linux, grub no longer works... funny that :P

The way to fix it is stick your vista dvd in and press a button to boot from cd when loading, it will then ask you if you want to reinstall windows, you click yes:
on the next screen you have some options:
1. install windows
2. fix bootloader
3. do some other stuff
4 do something else.

I'm not looking at it right now so I don't know the exact options and ordering, but this is pretty much it. just click fix bootloader, and about 3 seconds later it will be finished. it's a very very quick install, only took about 1.8 seconds to fix my boot when I tried it.
Then take the dvd out and you can boot straight into windows, and reinstall a new linux partition if you like.

If you don't have a genuine windows cd, due to a large number of dodgy companies not handing them out anymore, instead opting to have a small 2.3 partition which backups to a manufactures default install....
I suggest A: canvasing the neighbourhood till you find someone with a vista dvd.
B: trying to download a vista iso from the net (make sure it's the same version as yours eg. home/business/etc)
C: call windows help desk tell them you have a genuine windows sticker but no cd, and tell them to send you out a cd. (not sure if they will comply)
D: take the computer to the dodgy store where you bought it and tell the F$%kers to stick in a vista dvd and help you fix it then and there.

goodluck

If you have reinstalled linux and keep getting error 15 then I can fix that, 1 sec and ill grab the commands you need.
Last edited by gcampton on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
gcampton

Post by gcampton »

I thought it was the same as mine alas it was not i had grub error 22, after repartitioning and grub error 17 after reinstalling linux.
So fixing error 15 seems a bit more complicated... try searching google for more informative measures, this was taken from gentoo forums.

Code: Select all

Grub error 15
After hitting return in the grub prompt you get something similar to this one?
Code:
Booting 'Linux xxx'

root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is ext3fs, partition type 0x83
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20 root=/dev/hda3 vga=792

Error 15: File not found
Press any key to continue...
info grub wrote:
15 : File not found
This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found, but everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK.

If it's the kernel that it's missing (bzImage, kernel...):make sure that the file it is referring to exists on your boot partition.

To find out what the exact name of your kernel is, first boot from the live-cd or into your existing linux installation. Then mount /boot if you've got a seperate partition, or mount / if you don't. Then do the following:
I will list how to mount the partition just incase your not sure. windows if it was the first operating system installed will be sda1, second sda2 etc. swap paritions are usually sda5 and higher but not always. as some hdd's can have up to 100 operating systems on them. mine for instance has:
partition | size | filesystem | OS
sda1 - 450gb - ntfs - Vista
sda3 - 45gb - ext3 - Mint 7
sda4 - 85gb - ext3 - LFS
sda5 - 20gb - ext3 - spare space
sda2 - 2gb - swap

I'm not sure how swap ended up as sda2, as it was made with the mint partition during install. Probably my doing.
You can easily see how your system is by loading up gparted on the live cd. (mint menu ---> administration ---> partition editor)

I want to mount my mint partition so first we will need to make a folder to mount it to. preferably in /mnt but it doesn't matter as this is just a liveCD and will be deleted as soon as we reset the computer.
sudo mkdir -v /mnt/mint
sudo mount -v -t ext3 /dev/XXX /mnt/mint (XXX is replaced with the partition of your mint install. in my case /dev/sda3)

because this is taken from gentoo the folder location might be a bit off,

Code: Select all

Code:
cd /boot             (or in our case /mnt/mint/boot)
ls
This will list all the kernels that you've got on your boot partition.

If your kernel is missing make sure that you compiled a kernel either with genkernel or make menuconfig

Code:
 cd /usr/src/linux/       ( in case of ---   /mnt/mint/usr/src/linux)
make menuconfig
and you copied it to your boot partition.

Code:
cp /mnt/mint/usr/src/linux/arch/[your architecture, e.g. x86]/boot/bzImage  /mnt/mint/boot/

However if this error is caused while trying to install grub. And is similar to this one:
Code:
grub> root (hd0,0)
 Filesystem type is xfs, partition type 0x83

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
 Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no

Error 15: File not found
First of all make sure that you changed root(hd0,0) and setup (hd0) according to your systems specifications.

It may also be possible that grub uses other numbers for your drives than your kernel. So although it may be hda it could be that it is not hd0. However usually this is not the case.

Or else give this line a try provided by dirtboy
Code:
grub-install /dev/bootdevice

If all else fails make sure that your partition is not somehow corrupt. Be sure that you are able to create symbolic links. 
Check to make sure that it is definitely error 15 before doing this....
BananasInPajamas

Post by BananasInPajamas »

I can only use one liveCD and that is the Gnome Mint one, and it's scratched so I cannot install LinuxMint correctly. Is there a way to install grub manually?
gcampton

Post by gcampton »

If the livecd is scratched and will not work, then get a friend to burn one for you, or you should be able to download and burn a copy at your local library... or university ask an IT person nicely, don't go up to the front help desk /reception and ask them, just ask them the way to the IT section/lecturers and then explain your problem to a lecturer etc. If that fails you can get free Ubuntu live cd shipped to your address. Ubuntu is the largest distro for a very good reason.... FREE CD's!! and free shpping/postage. It may take some weeks to get to you obviously, but if the above options don't work you don't have much of a choice but to wait.

Do you live in QLD, Australia? if so I'd be happy to send you a CD. Otherwise there are other services where you can pay for cd's to be shipped to you usually at cost price, $1-$3. :mrgreen:

I'm assuming you want to continue using linux? if so get a mint livecd off somebody/ or order a ubuntu free cd,
if not then all you really need is a windows cd to fix the boot partition.

As I understand it this is what happens, although I'm only 99% this information is correct.
What happens when you install linux is grub is installed on the linux partition, but it installs a small 16k file to the bootloader. The boot loader is a very small partition on the harddrive which usually contains the windows bootloader. But for grub to work, or generally for linux to be able to boot it has to write a file into the windows bootloader so the options come up asking which operating system to load. Unfortunately this destroys the windows bootloader in the process... It's annoying but at the same time necessary(you can actually blame microsoft for being annoying and not having a compatible bootloader) and is easily fixable with a genuine windows cd. Stick it in click fix bootloader, take the cd out and hit the reset button on front of pc.

EDIT:

Ps I forgot to add the reason the burned vista cd didn't work was probably due to copyright encryption on the cd... TBH I haven't checked if this is true or not, But I know for a lot of commercial cd's it is the case. Nero generally does not work, it will tell you that it managed to burn the cd successfully but typically this is not the case. The best programs actually copy not only the contents of the cd but also the encryption copyright BS as well, programs such as 'clonecd' it is one of the best I have used on windows, only problem is it is commercial itself. When I used to use it you could use it for 30days, or 5 tries, can't remember. (After that you could uninstall it, and delete the file it sticks in the windows folder which would mean when it checks to see if it has been on your system it couldn't find the file and would allow you to use it for a further 30days... Which is actually not illegal (is legal), as it's not a requirement after uninstalling software that you have to keep random files lying around your system clogging up space. I'm guessing being that it's 5 years later they have probably wised up to this.) :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”