Mint4win - Wont uninstall and wont bother to even start

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint4win - Wont uninstall and wont bother to even start

Post by altair4 »

If you are really using mint4win you uninstall it from Windows using Add or Remove Programs.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Maybe someone with experience with this thing will show up soon. I don't use mint4win but doing a little searching it seems there may be two or even 3 problems:

64bit Vista seems to add a wrinkle to this - lots of posts about that in Ubuntu ( where it's called wubi )

Clean uninstall seems to be an issue.

Even when it's uninstalled it doesn't remove the bootloader option at startup.

You might want to look at this: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Uninstallation

It seems there is a little standalone un-installer in wubu at C:\ubuntu\Uninstall-Ubuntu.exe.
The path is going to be different in Mint but you might want to look for a similarly placed app.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Well there is a section in the link I provided on how to remove it manually:
How do I manually uninstall Wubi?

Remove C:\ubuntu and C:\wubildr*.

In Windows XP you need to edit C:\boot.ini and delete the Ubuntu/Wubi line. For Vista, you can use EasyBCD to edit the boot menu. Alternatively you can modify the boot menu via control_panel > system > advanced > startup_and_recovery and pressing "Edit". For Windows 98 you have to edit C:\config.sys, and remove the Wubi block.

To remove Wubi from the add/remove list, delete the registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wubi

An easy method of removing this registry key is to paste the following text into a plain editor such as Notepad, close and save the file as something like removeWubiKey.reg (you may wish to go to Folder Options > View and disable the "Hide file extensions for known file types" option to check that the .reg extension has actually been applied). Then you can perform the rest automatically by opening the file in the normal Windows manner, or choosing the "Merge" option from the right click context menu. Note: The formatting is rather strict, so copy the text exactly for best results. You may need to be logged in as the administrator to delete the key, depending on the version of Windows you are using. User Account Control in Vista may also pop up, in the typical fashion.

REGEDIT4

[-HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wubi]

After deleting the registry key, Ubuntu may still appear in the program list. If this is the case, you may be asked if you would like to remove the item from the list.
You'd have to find the corresponding mint4win paths of course. If it were me I would learn to live with the entry in Add/Remove Programs before I edited the windows registry - that's insane.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Have no idea. I don't use mint4win as I said earlier. You might want to search the Ubuntu forums.

Return to “Installation & Boot”