[Solved] Folder View Widget moves and resizes every login

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smsmith

[Solved] Folder View Widget moves and resizes every login

Post by smsmith »

My folder view widget keeps resizing and moving itself every time I log in. I resize it, move it back to where I want it to go and lock the desktop. On next restart, it has resized and moved back to where it was the last time I resized it and moved it back to where I want it.

It does this if I logout from the menu, restart from the menu, or use CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE.

Things that happened recently that may have contributed...

I installed the mint-meta-xfce package because I wanted to try XFCE. I had some problems with it and then uninstalled it, intending to try again later, but to be honest, I prefer the look and feel of KDE.

There was a slew of KDE updates (the one AFTER the update to 4.3.1). After the 4.3.1 update, things were fine. This started happening after the second update.

Anyone have any suggestions to get this sucker to go back where I want it?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Folder View Widget moves and resizes every login

Post by Husse »

Well in KDE 4 there is only a small area of the desktop that is desktop :roll: :shock:
Is it he order in this plasmoid that is the problem?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

It's not the order of the icons in the desktop folder, it's the actual placement and size of the plasmoid/widget that keeps changing on me. I've got three plasmoids besides the panel on the desktop and only this one moves.

If I get ambitious, I'll try wiping out all of the widgets and starting over, though I doubt that will help. I've removed the folder view several times and put it back and it always goes back to that spot.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - I am not comfortable with KDE and this plasmoid thing, well...
Did not find anything about the placement of the plasmoids - I have to add this to my list (too late to start digging today)
dafi

Post by dafi »

Hm i had that problem too.
The following worked for me.
Remove the folder-widget from the desktop. Logout, Login.
Put the folder-widget back to the desktop, to the place you want it to be and change the size to the one you like. Don't do anything else just, logout, Login.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

dafi wrote:Hm i had that problem too.
The following worked for me.
Remove the folder-widget from the desktop. Logout, Login.
Put the folder-widget back to the desktop, to the place you want it to be and change the size to the one you like. Don't do anything else just, logout, Login.
In my frustration, I must have done just this, as it's working again. I know I removed it and logged out/in and fiddled with it several times.

It's nice to see this happened to someone else. Helps prove to myself that I'm not crazy! :D
dequire

Re: [Solved] Folder View Widget moves and resizes every login

Post by dequire »

Despite the few hiccups discussed here, I have to admit that using a folder view for your desktop icons is a crazy-cool idea that blows people away when they see my Mint KDE desktop 8)

Return to “Software & Applications”