[SOLVED] Where to Install NetBeans?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
safetycopy

[SOLVED] Where to Install NetBeans?

Post by safetycopy »

Hi All :)

I recently downloaded NetBeans 6.7.1 from http://www.netbeans.org/downloads/index.html.

I'm new to Linux, so it took me a while to figure out how to get the installer running, but once I did I got stuck straight away on something else. Where to install it to?

The installer defaults to installing in my home directory, but that seems weird to me and being new to Linux I'm not sure where else in the file system would be good...

Can anyone explain things please? :)

Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
safetycopy

Re: Where to Install NetBeans?

Post by safetycopy »

Thanks for the link richyrichy - following it I found this http://wiki.netbeans.org/InstallingNetb ... Ubuntu7.10 which suggests /opt as being a good place to install...

Not really sure why /opt, but I'll go with it for now :)
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I know it's "bad" but I always put big apps on my data partition for two reasons. First of all, I don't have that much space on home (compared to data, at least), and secondly because I'm going to want NetBeans no matter what. So by leaving on ~/data, it never gets deleted even when I switch distros :)
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

safetycopy wrote: Not really sure why /opt, but I'll go with it for now :)
It has to do with the hierarchical file system, as I understand it. I always thought of /opt as being "/optional" - the idea that anything going in /opt is fairly distinct from the rest of the root hierarchy, in that anytime I've installed something in opt I've ended up with an /opt/lib and even /opt/etc - distinct from /usr/lib or /lib or /etc. If the time comes to remove the package it shouldn't interfere with the rest of the system.

Maybe this isn't true and its for large applications.
safetycopy

Post by safetycopy »

I know it's "bad" but I always put big apps on my data partition
Yeah, I should probably re-install and re-partition things... When I tried to set up my partitions manually I kept getting an error that partman failed, so I went with the 'use the whole drive' option to get going.
It has to do with the hierarchical file system, as I understand it. I always thought of /opt as being "/optional" - the idea that anything going in /opt is fairly distinct from the rest of the root hierarchy, in that anytime I've installed something in opt I've ended up with an /opt/lib and even /opt/etc - distinct from /usr/lib or /lib or /etc. If the time comes to remove the package it shouldn't interfere with the rest of the system.
Thanks for the clarification - that would certainly make sense. Coming from a Windows background I have a lot to learn/unlearn and factoids like this help a lot :)

Return to “Software & Applications”