The mint color logo vs. the mate color scheme of the desktop and its appeal to Linux newcomers have been confusing to me

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Switch

The mint color logo vs. the mate color scheme of the desktop and its appeal to Linux newcomers have been confusing to me

Post by Switch »

When Linux Mint boots up it shows its logo in a shade of mint color, a shade of blueish or teal-green to me. Then the system boots up and the default color scheme of the desktop environment, all three of them, is mate green, a distinct, yellowish tint. Mate being a South American plant and drink. It's also the name of a Linux desktop environment, MATE (with all caps). Its reference implementation, Ubuntu MATE consequently uses a mate color scheme by default. MATE is also one of Linux Mint's official desktop environments, albeit not the default one.

The official Linux Mint desktop environments, all three of them using the yellowish color scheme from the South American plant have always confused me. I know you can change and tweak every aspect of the desktop as you wish but how appealing do you think the default mate color scheme is for newcomers to Linux in general and Linux Mint in particular? All major distros go the extra mile to make the default install to be pleasing to the eyes of newbie and seasoned Linux users alike. What do you think?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: The mint color logo vs. the mate color scheme of the desktop and its appeal to Linux newcomers have been confusing t

Post by antikythera »

I've not used the MATE ISO but as far as I'm aware the Mint Welcome Screen has the same folder colour options to choose from on each edition. You should find a more teal green folder set in there to apply (It's a Mint-X and Mint-Y theme icon colour choice that can also be applied in MATE Control Centre).

So there's something for mostly every taste in there.

I use a different icon set though called numix-circle (partly why the Welcome Screen I posted looks a little non-standard)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Switch

Re: The mint color logo vs. the mate color scheme of the desktop and its appeal to Linux newcomers have been confusing t

Post by Switch »

What I wanted to point to in my original post that many popular distros and particular editions of distros with specific desktops make a lot of effort into creating a great design for the out of the box experience, that is for the new Linux user booting up the live system for the first time, applying zero tweaks, and a great design still awaits them. You get what I mean, right?

But with Linux Mint? The visual aesthetics and the color theme used are somewhat different. I just wanted to find out the reasons, that's all. :)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

simply put .. it's the call, from the Project Leader.
:P

the Forum itself, is an result of the Forum.Members,
after the forum had some issues, and was 'upgraded' at that point.

the colour scheme, back then, was the default, that came with the 'upgrade'.
and was changed back to the Green, after an number of Forum.Member requests.

the main idea, is that the LinuxMint project, is based in the country of Ireland,
& where most things, are apparently in the Green colour.
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Your Artwork”