Vista on Sun VirtualBox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JSP

Vista on Sun VirtualBox

Post by JSP »

Hi, I'm new to Linux Mint and wanted to run some Windows programs without using WINE. I've installed Sun VirtualBox to try and create a virtual OS but realised that I have no install CDs for Windows, just some old recovery CDs. I am running a dual boot on my laptop with Vista on one partition and Mint on the other. Is there anyway that I can tell VirtualBox to look on the other partition for the boot or what? Is there a way to get round not having an install CD?

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Vista on Sun VirtualBox

Post by atlef »

It is possible to create an image of your already installed Vista for use in VirtualBox, but it seems to be a lengthy process. If you feel up to it, here is one person who has tried this.

Good luck.
(I might even give this a try, but just not now as I do not have Windows on my machine at the moment.)

atlef.
JSP

Post by JSP »

I doesn't seem to work. The version of VirtualBox that he used (-ose) doesn't seem to be compatible with Mint.

Thanks for your help anyway, when/if you try it and you find a way around it could you let me know how you did it? Thanks. :)
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

Well, try the non-ose version from Sun.
Do not know if it makes any difference.

atlef.

Return to “Software & Applications”