(Solved) Musescore latest version not available in repos

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Liszt

(Solved) Musescore latest version not available in repos

Post by Liszt »

Hi,

I am currently using a music score writing program called Musescore and it works well except for a bug which has been fixed according to their website in the latest stable release (0.9.5). Unfortunately the newest version in the repos is 0.9.4 which is what I have.

On their web page there is a link to download directly from your browser. I am using Firefox 3.0.14. When I click on the thing to download from the browser I get an error 'Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (apt) isn't associated with any program.'

Does anyone know how I can get the latest stable release? At first when I looked at using this program I thought it wouldn't suit me due to the lack of some features but after using it for a while have found its excellent functionality in other areas outweighs what it lacks, PLUS some of the things I would like it to have seem to have been added in the latest stable version, so I would love to have that version!

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
optimize me

Re: Musescore latest stable version 0.9.5 not available in repos

Post by optimize me »

Liszt wrote:Hi,

I am currently using a music score writing program called Musescore and it works well except for a bug which has been fixed according to their website in the latest stable release (0.9.5). Unfortunately the newest version in the repos is 0.9.4 which is what I have.
Why are applications not the latest version?
Liszt wrote:On their web page there is a link to download directly from your browser. I am using Firefox 3.0.14. When I click on the thing to download from the browser I get an error 'Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (apt) isn't associated with any program.'

Code: Select all

sudo apt install apturl
Liszt wrote:Does anyone know how I can get the latest stable release? At first when I looked at using this program I thought it wouldn't suit me due to the lack of some features but after using it for a while have found its excellent functionality in other areas outweighs what it lacks, PLUS some of the things I would like it to have seem to have been added in the latest stable version, so I would love to have that version!

Thanks.
There's a link right on the official Musescore download page that points to the official PPA for pre-release versions. Add their repo and you can stay current with updates. Keep in mind that pre-release - or beta - software is sometimes unstable and has bugs that final releases don't usually have. When you install a newer version than what's available in official Ubuntu or Mint repos, you take on certain risks and should be prepared to deal with any problems that may arise in the future.

Return to “Software & Applications”