[HOWTO] Install MYOB in Linux Mint 7 using Wine-Doors

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Brendan_Mcc

[HOWTO] Install MYOB in Linux Mint 7 using Wine-Doors

Post by Brendan_Mcc »

Hey, Your probably here because you want to run:

* MYOB Accounting Plus v(x)
* MYOB Premier v(x)

-- where (x) is the version number of your MYOB application...
*** I need to mention here that I have tested this ONLY with MYOB Accounting Plus v17.

There are two prerequisites to having MYOB run under Linux Mint 7. These are:

* Wine and Wine-Doors installed (see below)
* A Backup of the MYOB directory is taken from the existing WINDOWS installation!

1) INSTALL WINE and WINE-DOORS by executing the following code in the TERMINAL window:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install wine wine-doors
2) DOWNLOAD your MYOB Installer file from the MYOB website or have the MYOB Installation CD handy...

3) Launch Wine-Doors (MENU > WINE > WINE-DOORS)

4) Once Wine-Doors has launched, Choose FILE > INSTALL FROM CD (wether you have a CD or installer file, doesn't matter!)

5) At this point, if you have a CD - Wine-Doors will have recognised this and started the installer, or asked you to specify the install file. (usually setup.exe, or setup.msi) OR If you have downloaded the installer file from the website, simply choose BROWSE and locate the .EXE installer THEN choose RUN

6) The MYOB / Windows Install Shield will fire up. Follow through the usual Windows installation procedure here.

NOTE: Keep in mind that Wine-Doors emulates a Windows environment. You can change environment variables / settings by MENU > WINE > CONFIGURE WINE.

Also, the MYOB installation may take some time, especially registering libraries or setting up ODBC. It may even appear to freeze at this point. If you see no activity for 30 minutes, then feel free to kill the wine processes and reboot Linux. This should not affect your MYOB installation...

7) Once installed, you need to copy your existing (BACKED UP) MYOB directory (FROM WINDOWS) OVER THE TOP of the installation directory - choosing to REPLACE ALL to existing files. Wine emulates the Windows file-system structure by placing files by default in /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/myobxx

IE - my installation of MYOB Accounting Plus v17 installed here:
/home/brendan/.wine/drive_c/myob17

** IF YOU DONT COPY YOUR OLD DIRECTORY OVER THE TOP, FILES ARE MISSING AND MYOB WILL NOT RUN UNDER LINUX THROUGH WINE-DOORS!

8) LAUNCH your MYOB installation - the shortcut should be in the "MENU > WINE > + MYOB Ver xx +"

:)
plumtreed

Re: [HOWTO] Install MYOB in Linux Mint 7 using Wine-Doors

Post by plumtreed »

This is a very good result and thank you for such a clear, precise outline! I have not tried this yet because quite frankly I haven't got Mint installed. However, I think I will try in Ubuntu9.04 to see if it will 'click'. I googled and your Howto popped up.

Have you had success with printing, especially invoices?

I'll let you know how it goes.
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

No, it doesn't happen. That is, in Ubuntu9.04, with an earlier version of MYOB(ver12). It shouldn't need Mint but I will download and try again. MYOB does get to the stage of installing etc but is still a bit flaky in that it doesn't print nor find it's way around in some windows. It does all the important accounting things but requires various 'work arounds' to print reports but forms, including invoices, just gets lost.

Do you do a 'restore' or 'copy' in your last step?
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

When I do what you suggest I end up with MYOB that runs at a certain level but it is not able to perform all functions properly. I would appreciate confirmation that invoices do print!
Brendan_Mcc

Post by Brendan_Mcc »

Hi Plumtreed,

Sorry - have been busy with study and work and haven't had a chance to get to your replies.

I suggest you have a read of http://www.la-sorciere.de/Wine-HOWTO/wi ... onfig.html

I have some screenshots of it going on mine here:
(Remember, WINE still needs some development in regards to printing. Some applications integrate easier than others...)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Getting MYOB to work under Mint7 is good stuff. :D
considering that V17 is still listed by Codeweavers as Untested.
If you (Brendan_Mcc ) have the time, a screen shot to their site, would help promote Mint7 a little more. :)

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibilit ... pp_id=4557
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

Well done Brendon and I think your 'step-by-step' is very clear.

I haven't had the same result but will try again when I do get some free time. I get it to the stage where MYOB works and, while it creates and records all the invoice particulars, it doesn't print them. It thinks it does and confirms that it has but you get a blank sheet of paper going through the printer.

I can get most reports but I have to ensure that I change any default 'bold' selections on each occasion.

Glad it works for you!

Return to “Tutorials”