[invalid] Removal of Fortune also removes mint menu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brainbuz

[invalid] Removal of Fortune also removes mint menu

Post by brainbuz »

I really hate the fortune program spewing nonsense every time I open a terminal session so I tried to remove it.
Afterwards mintmenu was broken, after checking my apt logs, it was obvious that removing fortune had also removed mintmenu. After uninstalling fortune I still had to manually remove it from bash.bashrc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Removal of Fortune also removes mint menu

Post by emorrp1 »

This is not a bug: when you attempted to remove fortunes, it will have warned you it also had to remove mintsystem, which is crucial for a working Mint, incidentally in Gloria, it would also remove all the other mintTools, since they each depend on it. As you have noticed, the proper way to remove the fortunes is to disable them in bash.bashrc Here's the full message you will have got:

Code: Select all

The following packages will be REMOVED
  fortune-mod fortunes-min mint-meta-gnome mint-meta-main mintinstall mintmenu
  mintnanny mintsystem mintupdate mintwelcome
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 10 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
After this operation, 11.2MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
Note that by answering yes to that question, you're basically agreeing to removing Mint. Now, you're welcome to suggest the ability to remove the fortunes package without removing Mint is a feature you'd like to see implemented, so feel free to ask for it: http://www.linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php but it is not a "bug"
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

The correct way to disable the fortune thing would have been to edit the file /etc/bash.bashrc and comment out the last line "/usr/bin/mint-fortune".
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Argggg, I hate dependency hell

You can fix this by rebuilding all the packages that list fortunes as a dependency, but I recommend you just disable it in bashrc
DruKe

Post by DruKe »

I wouldn't call it a bug either but I had to raise an eyebrow as to why fortunes was actually released into the live cd / install. :shock:

Return to “Beginner Questions”