Configuring a pppoe connection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Configuring a pppoe connection

Post by Husse »

First off - you should let the modem do this if at all possible and I think most xDSL modems can do this
Second - can you ping an IP?

Code: Select all

ping -c 2 74.125.39.103
This pings a Google server twice
If you can try this
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

the pppoe connection is made over a lan .
What? I had to google pppoe and it seems that it can be used by a LAN but I have not heard of that before
One slightly odd solution that has worked before in somewhat similar situations is to set MTU to 1492

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/network/interfaces
If you want DHCP don't change anything
There is probably only two lines in there
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
Add a line
mtu 1492
restart networking or perhaps better reboot
I don't say it will fix it but it could......
Husse

Post by Husse »

The post directly above got me thinking
I checked in my synaptic and pppconfig, pppoe, pppoeconf and ppp were installed
For some reason wvdial is not included in Gloria (but it was in Felicia) Could the the lack of pppoe.conf come from that?
Don't think so. Maybe you should check this and/or reinstall pppoeconf It cant hurt to install wvdial...
I'm sorry it turns out to be this complicated - and most people never have problems with pppoe because that is taken care of by the modem (it is for me)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll call in some help - I'm kinda lost here
Husse

Post by Husse »

Could this be the solution?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=27396
I have not read this topic again - I'm busy catching up after a few days away
igitur

Post by igitur »

Hi,

I also recently installed Linux Mint Gloria, and I also have a pppoe on LAN connection. As described above, I could not get the pppoe connection to succeed. I've done it a million times on other distributions, so I'm comfortable with the process.

After stumbling on this forum, I also realised that I don't have the pppoe.conf file. Neither pppoeconf nor pppoe-setup created it. I got a sample pppoe.conf off the net and saved it to /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf and reran pppoeconf. From there on everything worked fine.

So I definitely see this as a bug in the Gloria installation process. Hope it gets fixed in the next release.
igitur

Post by igitur »

Husse, could you look into fixing this for Helena, please?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've added it to a Helena suggestions topic which we certainly will look into before the release
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Husse

Post by Husse »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
My time to blush - completely forgotten that it was reported as a bug long ago :mrgreen:
y-man
Level 1
Level 1

Post by y-man »

I am trying to get PPPOE over DSL modem, while running Mint 7 from Live CD (DVD actually), and having the same trouble, where pppoeconf runs without any complaint, I can start the pppoe, and get ifconfig display ppp0. But nothing on the internet is accessible. Pings to my ISP's DNS fail. I did confirm that DNS IPs are identical to my Ubuntu 8.04 install, where I have no problems.

I am going to try adding pppoe.conf under /etc/ppp.

The PPPOE in above mentioned Ubuntu install was setup by running pppoeconf, it worked fine with no further tinkering, and the above mentioned file does not exist there. I don't know how this can be explained.

I am trying to get PPPOE over DSL modem, while running Mint 7 from Live CD (DVD actually).

Return to “Beginner Questions”