SOLVED: Freezes on install

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED: Freezes on install

Post by bobpur »

I have an older Compaq 5001CL Presario that used to run Mint 6 Xfce with out a hitch. After an upgrade attempt, the machine locks up about 78% into a clean install of Mint 7 Xfce. Always in the 78-88% range. The cd checks out OK and lockups don't occur anyplace else. The hard drive I'm installing to is a 10 gb that came in the machine. Mint 6 re-installs OK. I ruled out a bad hdd. Is Mint 7 Xfce too big for the 10 gb drive?

The machine uses a 800 mhz AMD Duron with 768 gb RAM (maxed out).

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Freezes on install

Post by merlwiz79 »

It should work fine.
It only takes 2.5 GBs once it's installed.
I have installed it on an old laptop with a 1 GHz amd Duron, 256MB of RAM and 20GB hard drive.
It could be the disc(CD).
Check to see if there is any dust or hair on it.
Also I burn all the discs at 2X.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Freezes on install

Post by bobpur »

I checked this 10 gb hdd in another computer and it checked out OK. System Rescue CD was used as well as a Windows hdd checking program. I reformatted it to NTFS and reinstalled it in the Compaq. It is now used for storage in this new configuration.

Then I resized the 40 gb drive I was using for Wiin2K and reinstalled Mint 7 Xfce CE there. This time it went without a hitch. No problems what so ever.

I, also. swapped out the IDE cable just to be safe. This may have been the original culprit. I don't know how old the old IDE cable was. I just never thought of it until after everything else was done.

This little Compaq, usually, sucks up (KDE, Xfce, Fluxbox) distros like a sponge. Things are running smoothly now. I guess the IDE cable MAY have been at fault.

The CD was fine. This is not the first cd I've burned. I have produced my share of coasters, but not lately. I know it could still happen.

2.5 gb's for a full install of Mint 7 Xfce CE? I wondered about that. It acted like drive capacity had been exceded, but no warnings were shown. It just stopped at about 78-88% and then the progress bar would stop, the hdd activity light would quit and the CD would spin down and things came to a halt. I thought it hit a hard pull and would pick up when it was done. After leaving it on all night installing this didn't happen. It was frozen.

Thanks.

I apologize for running on like this, but I just wanted to put as much info in for someone else having this problem on an old machine.

Return to “Xfce”