For the Mint CE KDE team...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beli0135

For the Mint CE KDE team...

Post by beli0135 »

Hello

There is one option only openSUSE has (maybe Sabayon, I can't recall)... you know the shut-down menu in KDE4? Well, Shut-down has submenu that allows you to choose hibernate and suspend. OpenSUSE has menu on restart that allows you to choose kernel you want to reboot in, and/or some other operating system registered in GRUB. After choosing, it boots immediately in chosen OS/Kernel.

I really miss that option, as long time openSUSE user. Is it possible to implement it?

Best wishes,
Emil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: For the Mint CE KDE team...

Post by Boo »

I remember looking at this before but there was something about it that defeated the purpose of using it, apart from writing the gui.
I think it was that although on reboot or boot it went straight to the chosen OS, you would still have to use the grub menu to get to any other OS in grub, eg to get back into the OS that the grub lives in and change the default again.

Ie you are only avoiding using grub till you want to go to any other OS but the new default.

maybe I just run too many OS's on my box.

what i was hoping for was one boot/reboot into the chosen OS and then switch back to the former default.
I may have to look at this again.

Boo.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
beli0135

Post by beli0135 »

Well, I do not agree. Option is very useful.

Task: You need to reboot in other OS
Conditions: You seriously need to go to the bathroom, quickly
Desire: pressing a button, and having another OS loaded while you were doing your things.

No matter how above written is funny or lame (choose your own reasons), process is called AUTOMATIZATION. So, we use computers to automatize processes.
+1 kudos for openSUSE

I wish to see this in Mint. Question was: Is it possible to implement in next release?

Thanks
Emil
eco2geek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eco2geek »

Boo wrote:what i was hoping for was one boot/reboot into the chosen OS and then switch back to the former default.
I may have to look at this again.
Is this what you mean? I thought this was a KDE thing, not a distro-related thing. (Click thumb for larger view.)

(openSUSE's GRUB "controls" my PC. You can choose which OS you want to boot into from the Restart menu in either KDE 3.5 or KDE 4, which means you don't have to make a selection from the GRUB menu when the computer restarts. The next time you reboot, it boots into the GRUB default (unless you make another selection), as defined in "menu.lst". Making a selection from the Restart menu does not change the default selection.)
beli0135

Post by beli0135 »

Well, in openSUSE, I had it... in Mint, Kubuntu and Fedora (which I tested - mint I am using), I dont have it.
I do not know how to set it up, as I always used openSUSE.
I want EXACTLY as in your snapshot!
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

beli0135: I believe that is a feature of KDM, which is the login manager. IIRC you have to edit the kdmrc file to enable that feature. I do not use KDM so cannot tell you the location of the kdmrc file so do this:

sudo updatedb
locate kdmrc

That will tell you where the kdmrc file is. Make a backup copy of it then edit it and you will find the option "Show boot options". I do not remember where in that file the options are, you'll have to work that out for yourself....

Read this: http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-w ... g-shutdown

I cannot say for certain if this will work in Ubuntu/Mint....
beli0135

Post by beli0135 »

Well, OK, it seems fixable..

Also, point was to enable that by default in next releases. It is very useful.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

When i find it I'll add it.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
beli0135

Post by beli0135 »

Thanks!!!