Shiki Mint theme and vertical taskbar

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ezekiel_quacks

Shiki Mint theme and vertical taskbar

Post by ezekiel_quacks »

After a number of years using WinXP on my laptop for various reasons, I'm now getting ready to switch (back) to using Linux as my primary desktop OS. I've been pleasantly surprised at Linux Mint -- though I've used everything from RedHat (back in the old days) to Gentoo to Ubuntu (so I'm no newbie), I've appreciated the kind of thoughtful work that's obviously been put into the spit-and-polish of Linux Mint, not just functionally but also aesthetically. Great job so far, guys! There's a slogan for you: Linux Mint: It's not just for newbies. :P

Of course, I also have a question/feature suggestion to go with my accolades. :lol: With my widescreen laptop, I prefer to use a vertical taskbar these days. But the Shiki Mint theme doesn't get along so well with this; it looks like it's only really set up for a hortizontal taskbar, because with a vertical taskbar, the gradient only runs about 1/4" of the length of the taskbar, and then repeats itself, which looks really odd. Can this be fixed somehow (or worked around) so that the Shiki Mint theme (which I otherwise quite like) gets along better with this configuration?

Thanks!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
optimize me

Re: Shiki Mint theme and vertical taskbar

Post by optimize me »

I'm not sure how you'd handle a color gradient, but if you have an image set as your panel background, you can find the source image (or another one you feel suits your aesthetics) and open it in gimp or another paint program, rotate it 90 degrees, and save it that way. It stands to reason that the rotated image would be evenly applied across the vertical panel.
ezekiel_quacks

Post by ezekiel_quacks »

Thanks for the reply. Initially, I tried just going to the panel preferences and changing the background to the color or image of my choice, but found that it doesn't work right -- several of the applets still only reflect the background of the Shiki Mint style, which feels like a bug to me.

So I found the Shiki Mint panel-bg-dark.png file and modified it directly. I don't like doing it this way, but I'd welcome someone to tell me a more "correct" way to do it... thanks!
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

ezekiel_quacks wrote: So I found the Shiki Mint panel-bg-dark.png file and modified it directly. I don't like doing it this way, but I'd welcome someone to tell me a more "correct" way to do it... thanks!
There is actually nothing wrong with doing it this way, and it does work. Your other option would be to edit the "panel.rc" file directly and changing the panel-bg-dark.png

Code: Select all

bg_pixmap[NORMAL]	= "/Panels/panel-bg-dark.png" # Disable for normal panel backgrounds.
to some other file name. Basically you are still changing it, but in a different way.

Hope that helps a little.
ezekiel_quacks

Post by ezekiel_quacks »

Well, the main problem with doing it this way is that such changes would be overwritten by any upgrade. Is there a way to modify the theme (or create a modified theme) which would avoid that problem?
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Yes absolutely. You could copy the original theme to your /home/[username]/.themes/ folder and edit the index.theme file and rename the theme there. Then you could edit to your hearts content without messing up the original.

Return to “Your Artwork”