Resume support

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Resume support

Post by npap »

Hi all,
Is there another program besides a Torrent that will resume broken downloads?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Resume support

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:Hi all,
Is there another program besides a Torrent that will resume broken downloads?
ncftp has a "re-get" feature, e.g. when you try to get the same file again, it will usually notice the previous attempt and then auto-resume.

wget has a "-c" / "--continue" command switch that will cause it to continue the download of a previously attempted HTTP or FTP download. See its man page for details: man wget

You can get both programs via apt-get ....

apt-get install ncftp
apt-get install wget

Regards + Yamas! I am drinking a glass of Nr. 12 Ouzo now, no kidding 8)

Scorp123
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Resume support

Post by npap »

Hello scorp123,
Thank you for your quick response to my request for help.
I will install Wget right away and read up the manual. It would be very useful to have something like the Download Accelerator for Linux, also.
As for Ouzo 12, I'm afraid it is not my drink, since it hits me on the head very fast and upsets my stomach too. I prefer Tsipouro which doesn't bother your stomach so much although it hits you real hard. I call it the Greek Tekilla.

This past summer and all past summers before this one, I spent my long vacation in my home town which is situated on the slope of a mountain, and I call it the Greek Alps. I head quite a bit of tsipouro. Believe me.

Stin Ygi
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:Thank you for your quick response to my request for help. I will install Wget right away and read up the manual. It would be very useful to have something like the Download Accelerator for Linux, also.
Kalispera npap ... try these packages:

pavuk
d4x
gwget
kget
gftp

Especially pavuk, d4x and maybe kget might be the type of programm you are looking for. gwget is a front-end for wget, so you can avoid the command line if you want or need to. gftp is a FTP program which can handle SSH and other connection types too, plus it has some resume features.

> As for Ouzo 12, I'm afraid it is not my drink, since it hits
> me on the head very fast

I thought that was the purpose of it? :D Of course, drinking it in cold Switzerland and dilluted with good amounts of water is a different thing than drinking it in a hot Greek summer :)

> Tsipouro

Is this similar to Metaxa? That stuff once killed me :lol: And so did Retsina, and so did Mavro Daphne, and Makedonikos, and some other fine wines whose names I forgot. The best I ever had was self-made by an old peasant I once met in the middle of some island's wilderness, pretty far away from any tourist zone. My rented car had broken down, I couldn't go nowhere. This old guy picked me up, invited me into the shades of his tiny little house. I didn't speak one word of Greek, and he didn't speak anything else but Greek. No problem though, after a few glasses of his self-made wine and tons of Metaxa (guessing from the taste and color) we came to a perfect understanding :lol:

Greek hospitality ... The stuff legends are made off :lol:
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Resume support

Post by npap »

Good morning Scorp 123,
Glad to hear from you again. I will try your suggestions and be ready to download Linux Mint 2.1 Bea final release. I am now testing Bea 2.1 Beta. it's pretty good, I like it.
I installed wget and will try it. I also found out that Firefox has a similar thing called Download them All. But I don't really know what it can do.

Tsipouro, by the way, is mostly home made but it is also available as a commercial product, not widely known.
It is spirits distilled from what is left from the grapes after the wine has been extracted. It's something like Votka, but a stronger taste. Sometimes they do double distillation, which results in a better taste although it is much stronger.
It's better diluted with ice. Good for company and your stomach :D

I am glad that you have enjoyed some of the Greek hospitality.
You know, the folks in the islands and the countryside are more hospitable than city people.
The new life styles adopted by Greeks is destroying whatever is left over from a civilized way of life.
The main concern is to make more and more money, thinking that happiness is somehting you can buy at the Super Market.

It's discouraging!
I hope I have not sounded very pessimistic.
Best regards,
npap
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

thinking that happiness is something you can buy at the Super Market
wouldn't that be handy though? :)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Supermarket happiness

Post by npap »

Yes, Clem. It would be handy.

By the way,may I give a word of advice? Why bother loading Bea with stuff that could be obtained thru Synaptic. It will save you a lot of headaches to omit some.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Because of people without broadband..
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Resume support

Post by npap »

Je suis tr
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Resume support

Post by npap »

Hello scorp 123, Bon Jour,

I installed Kget which seems to do the job fairly well.
By the way, let's drink to the health of the MINT. My suggestion : a mint drink with Cognac or Metaxa added to it, 50/50 proportion.
It's my favorite drink. Although it's extremely good :D for company, it never bothers your stomach. It works very fast, too.
Of course, you may change the formula according to your taste. It is a GNU cocktail. lol

So here's to Bea.
May she enjoy a long and prosperous life.
npap
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Kalispera npap,
npap wrote:I installed Kget which seems to do the job fairly well.
Did you try the other ones too? Depending on what you need, one program might be better suited for the task at hand than the others ... It all depends.
npap wrote:By the way, let's drink to the health of the MINT. My suggestion : a mint drink with Cognac or Metaxa added to it, 50/50 proportion. It's my favorite drink. Although it's extremely good :D for company, it never bothers your stomach.
I think I had that one too. But even though it doesn't bother the stomach it sounds as if it would seriously bother one's head :lol: ... Leonidas and his Spartans spring to my mind .... with a slight modification:

Code: Select all

Go tell the Greeks, oh stranger passing by,
that alcoholized by their sweet wine here still we lie,
obedient to Isaac Newton's laws 
:D ... The Battle of "MintoPylae" :lol:
npap wrote:So here's to Bea. May she enjoy a long and prosperous life. npap
I am quite happy with Barbara for the moment :D

clem for president, vive la revolution 8)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Resume support

Post by npap »

Good evening scorp 123,

It's best that the Spartans still lie dead, otherwise we would be in trouble.

I see you have a fairly good knowledge of Greek history.
As for the other download managers that you suggested, I haven't tried any of them yet. But Kget seems to be satisfactory for the moment. I will experiment with some of them though.

The Battle of "MintoPylae" is beginning. :D

Clem for president, vive la revolution :D

N.B. Visite le site Yd
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:It's best that the Spartans still lie dead, otherwise we would be in trouble.
Hmm ... I wonder what their reaction would be if we told them that the Persians are now trying to build nukes? What would a Spartan say to that? "They have a bomb so strong that its light will burn off your skin and blind you ..." "Then we shall fight with our sunglasses and sunscreen on ... " 8) "If the Persians have that bomb they will lay waste to your land and enslave you ... " Likely Spartan response: " IF ... " 8)

I don't think we would be in trouble ... Spartans would make for excellent TV news speakers and late night talk show masters. Anything they'd say would be so razor-sharp down to the point that people would think twice before trying to get into those shows ... :lol:
npap wrote:I see you have a fairly good knowledge of Greek history.
As a matter of fact I loved History in school, European Antiquity being my favourite topic.

Besides ... I am Orthodox too like most Greeks.

Greetings + best regards!

Scorp123
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Resume support

Post by npap »

Good afternoon scorpion 123,
Glad to be in touch with a great compadre. Your code name should have been Spartan 300.
I am very proud of our ancestors, and contemporary Greeks who can show the world that we are here, worthy of them, (Sorry if I sound like a chauvinist ,which I'm not)
I too have lived abroad, on the other side of the Atlantic for some years.

You are quite right about the Spartans. Maybe we need them now,

What we need most now is some of that old philosophy, to straiten things out in this crazy world of ours.
Thoukidides is very contemporary. He probably has a solution for everything that ails this world, because of bad policies.
Plato's Democracy, I'm afraid, has gone down the drain.

I am now drinking to your health!
Yiasou my friend
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:I too have lived abroad, on the other side of the Atlantic for some years.

Code: Select all

To a brave man every foreign land can be his native country.
And isn't this a Greek proverb too? 8)
npap wrote:I am now drinking to your health!
Yiasou my friend
Merci pareillement :D

Maybe I should change my avatar's flag back to the flag of the place my parents came from? Hmmm ... I think I'll have to switch from time to time :) No single flag is big enough for me :lol:

Regards :)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Resume support

Post by npap »

Good evening scorpion 123

It's good to be proud that you are a descendant of Spartans.
But even contemporary Greeks have someting to brag about; in 1940 they faced an invader that outnumbered them by a few millions.

Charging at the enemy with bayonets and shouting " Aeraaaa......., aeraaaa....!", they drove them back to the middle of Albania!

It was not the bayonets that made them run like hell, though.
The Greeks had eaten a good 'fasoulada' (bean soup) the night before!

Yasou Ellina!
npap
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Resume support

Post by npap »

Good evening scorpion 123 or spartan 300,

I think the flag indicates the country from which each person is posting in the forum. Of course, one should be proud of his origin.

By the way, I just installed Mint 2.1 Bea. It's really impressive. The only complaint I could make is about the 'Graphical partition' which is the weak point of the Ubuntu live cd. This is especially true when you are dual booting windows.
It's confusing to a newbie to say the least. Mepis 6 has a better graphical installation process, with instructions as you go along.
So I would prefer an alternate, verbal installation.
Maybe Clem should consider this for the next Distro.

Well, Christmas is near,
So I would like to wish you and the family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Kalla Christougenna

npap

Return to “Software & Applications”