Install LinuxMint-7-XFCE inside Windows XP

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarkWinst

Install LinuxMint-7-XFCE inside Windows XP

Post by MarkWinst »

I am trying (and failing) to install LinuxMint-7-XFCE inside Windows XP.

I download LinuxMint-7-XFCE.iso, verify the checksum and burn a CD. I load the CD. From the autorunning menu (lmmenu.exe) I choose "Install inside Windows". This runs mint4win.exe, but oddly it comes up as Linux_Mint_Main Setup (ie. not the XFCE_CE desktop environment). So I choose XFCE_CE desktop environment, set my username and password and hit "Install". It says installing Linux_Mint_XFCE_CE-7 and starts trying to download installation files. After a few retries this fails with error "The download was interrupted with the error: The requested URL returned error: 404".

So instead I place mint4win.exe and LinuxMint-7-XFCE.iso in the same folder on the desktop and run mint4win. Same result as above. I drag and drop the .iso onto mint4win. Same result as above.

Can anyone tell me why this is not working, and what the answer is? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
johnnyj

Re: Install LinuxMint-7-XFCE inside Windows XP

Post by johnnyj »

I believe that mint4win creates a C:\mint\install\ folder and then downloads the .iso there.

If you put your .iso there, mint4win should see it and install it.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

The requested URL returned error: 404".
No Internet connection ?
I may be mistaken, but during install, it will look for a network connection and download language packs, hardware files, locale, etc.
MarkWinst

Post by MarkWinst »

johnnyj wrote:I believe that mint4win creates a C:\mint\install\ folder and then downloads the .iso there.

If you put your .iso there, mint4win should see it and install it.
Thanks johnnyj, that worked for me. Seems like a bug to me.

Return to “Installation & Boot”