Looking for a Netbook thats runs Mint 7 Well

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hereno

Looking for a Netbook thats runs Mint 7 Well

Post by Hereno »

I have decided to purchase a new netbook later this week, and would like to install Linux Mint 7 on it, as opposed to XP or (wow I can't believe I've actually seen netbooks running Vista). Seeing as last time I tried installing Mint on a laptop, nothing really worked and I ended up returning it, I'd like to make sure that this netbook will run Gloria well. Any past experiences/anybody who recently bought a netbook/any reviews you can find online would be most helpful. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Looking for a Netbook thats runs Mint 7 Well

Post by rivenathos »

I have been looking at a netbook from System 76: http://system76.com/product_info.php?cP ... ucts_id=92

Another one is from Zareason: http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.ph ... 250&page=1

At least these units already come with Linux installed, so that is some indication of hardware compatibility. This might be a start on your research. Good luck.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Hereno

Post by Hereno »

Thanks both of you for your posts. I'll check out all three of your suggestions and see if they lead to anything!
w8wca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by w8wca »

I hvae been running Mint 6 on my Eeepc 1000H for a while now.
I just (yesterday) put Mint 7 on it.
It all works well now.
NOTE: I did have to d/l the Ralink rt2860 WiFi drivers and install them.

A 10" is a good and usable size. Smaller makes it a bit hard to web browse.

Oh I actually have Windows 7 Ultimate on my Eeepc - it runs well (for Windows)
cheers charlie - w8wca
Toshiba Qosmio i4700 32G RAM 500G SSD & 500G HD
Windows 8.1 and Mint Mate 17
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

I run LinuxMint 7 Gnome on my Acer Aspire One (ZG5) with 160 GB hard disk w/ the 8.9" screen.
works great -sound, video, wireless, etcetera.

Currently connected to a 17" LCD monitor, a USB keyboard, a USB mouse and a wider than telephone internet connection. Wireless worked fine before, but only using the wired connection at present.
Used "xrandr -s 1440x900 -r 60" in a terminal to set the external monitor, but it's easier with the gui app, grandr.

The 17" screen looks kind of weird while booting up but then adjusts itsself to the desired resolution.

I would take a pendrive with a LiveUSB version of LinuxMint 7 gnome to the store and ask them to let you convince yourself that it works as expected. Hopefully they are knowledgeable enough to understand.

I have read that up to the 10" AA1 has same or similar specs to the 8.9" version. The newest one has a different chip and would probably need testing/checking to be sure. I expect that it will work but have never seen one.

sidux tracking testing works OK on this setup, as does AntiX; however, AntiX requires more fiddling around than either of the others, and Mint is the best so far for me on this particular setup. Now some 3 months in use. I only use ppa to get the OpenOffice 3.1.1 version, all the rest of sources list is mostly stock.

regards,
Richard.

Return to “Hardware Support”