(SOLVED) online backup

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rdh61
Level 4
Level 4

(SOLVED) online backup

Post by rdh61 »

Hi,
Can anyone recommend an online backup product that's easy to use with linux mint?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: online backup

Post by DrHu »

That's a little difficult; most on-line backup business services target Windows or MAC
--I don't use them, it is usually cheaper to add a second hard drive
http://www.ibackup.com/online-backup-linux/

If its for a small amount, then the free email servers (gmail, yahoo, hotmail) can likely support saving files; and many others

Another choice than a larger hard drive, a larger usb stick; they are now quite big, so several multiple capacity of DVD size becomes available for storage in a convenient pocket sized device..
Last edited by DrHu on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
andersau
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andersau »

I use dropbox - you can download software from their web site that installs on Mint. The app syncs whatever files you select to their server.

In my experience it works fine, but if you like moving things around on your hard drive and reorganising your files be careful when you run the software.

Dropbox give you 2GB of storage free, and you can pay if you want more.

The upcoming Ubuntu One service apparently also gives 2GB free. I'm not sure how it works but it would probably be worth considering.

One advantage of these services is that they are off-site, so if you have a robbery or fire, earthquake etc. you should still be able to retrieve your precious files.
rdh61
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rdh61 »

Thanks andersau, Dropbox does the job, simply and efficiently.

Michelbrown, it doesn't look to me as though your ibackup is open source, looks to me like a commercial product. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Husse

Re: (SOLVED) online backup

Post by Husse »

michelbrown is some kind of spammer - banned and posts deleted

Return to “Software & Applications”