Backtrack app on Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kurisutofu

Backtrack app on Mint

Post by kurisutofu »

Hello,
I would like to have access to Backtrack 4's applications. As it is based on Ubuntu with debian packages, I thought maybe we could access the backtrack's repository from Mint. Is it possible?
I know I could use backtrack but I would prefer staying on Mint all the time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikl

Re: Backtrack app on Mint

Post by mikl »

some of the apps in Backtrack are allready in mint's depositories.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install aircrack-ng
That for instance will install aircrack, and its gonna work with a whole bunch of them.
Of course some of them won't in that case you may have to install them from the sources.

P.S. If you're gonna compile don't forget to install build-essential.
rippedcb

Post by rippedcb »

i use USB version of backtrack..
i use Mint for day to day things, but when i feel like playing a bit.. just plug the usb in.. reboot and use backtrack for that session. Don't need to worry about installing anything or having anything written to my disk..

there are a few backtrack tools already available in the repo's.. but why take the headache? when all u need is a $10 usb storage that u can take anywhere with you :)

PS: have u tried playing with WPA networks yet??
kurisutofu

Post by kurisutofu »

Thank you miki and rippedcd fro your replies.
I will try first miki's adavice as I tried yesterday to use backtrack from the liveCD and well, I'm new to linux so it is complicated a little to me :oops:

Also, I'd like to use the tools from mint so the hardware would be installed already. With Backtrack, my wireless or bluetooth card are not found and I don't know how to install them from backtrack ... and if I did, I would need to do it every time, right? As it is a live CD ...

rippedCD, right now I'm more interested in the BLuetooth functions but I will definitely try wireless functions with WPA keys :wink: (as soon as I understand what I will be doing )
rippedcb

Post by rippedcb »

yes.. u'd need to install them everytime..
if and when you get playin with WPA gimme a PM..
WEP is easy, but i haven't had time to play with WPA yet and it'll be fun and easier to do it at the same time as someone else 8)
mikl

Post by mikl »

installing drivers for your wifi card could be a princess depends on what chipset it is, if you have a hard time getting them to work let us know, we'll give you a hand. Usually wifi works out of the box if its not the case that could mean that you'll have to compile the drivers and if you're new that could be kinda frightening but its not that hard.

@rippedcb
As i write these lines, im getting ready to play with my wpa network :) /me crossing fingers
kurisutofu

Post by kurisutofu »

Thank you for your offer to help, I think I'll need it...
My wireless card doesn't even work out of the box with Mint ... I had to find the driver and compile too (does running the command make - make install mean I am compiling?).

The thing I don't know is if compiling is the same on Mint and Backtrack, could you inform me on that?
If it's the same, I might do it quickly as I know where the drivers should be but I don't know if KDE and Gnome have the same compile method ...

When I'll be trying to play with the WPA, I'll let you know :wink:
mikl

Post by mikl »

kde and gnome are merely windows managers, they have nothing to do with compiling.
Yes, make and make install, means youre compiling.
In most cases you can't just compile that easy. Thats why most distributions have repos with packages allready in binary. When you want to install something they calculate the dependencies and install the software after downloading the binaries.
When you compile you are going to transform the sources (the actual code the coder wrote) into binaries (something the computer will understand) but you still have a problem, you will still need the dependencies!
Before you compile you will ned to install the other dependencies and most of the time kernel headers.. In mint before you compile just make sure you install the build-essential package.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential
Then take care of your dependencies, then compile.

In backtrack its the same thing, but i'm assuming you have allready what you need installed. That means you should only take care of the dependencies and then compile (i'm not 100% sure since i never tried to compile anything on bactrack... Could someone confirm that?)

Good luck with the rest :)
kurisutofu

Post by kurisutofu »

Thank you mikl for your explanation.
I knew about compiling (I'm a programmer, though mostly on windows ...) but I didn't know how to find the dependencies. Is the "build-essential" made for that?

Return to “Beginner Questions”