PCLinuxOS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

I did some digging to find out why it was hanging on 2007 TR1 and TR3.

The hangs happened when it tried to install cdrom drivers. Could not get it to run at all.

I checked the forum and I'm not the only one.

I'll be sticking with Mint for a long time to come but might give 2007 final release a go about 2 weeks after they release it as long as I don't see anymore of the same lockup reports about it in their forums.
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psycosmyth »

I have used TR2 since it's release and I was quite impressed, only yesterday I decided to go back to Debian/Ububtu based and wiped it out. Texstar is on vacation but soon after he will release the final 2007/.94. I had too many bugs to be comfortable but to be fair they were common KDE crashes that happen on any distro. I will have a hard decision to make next month between PCLOS and making the upgrade to Fiesty. I want to settle down for a while, the Oss community will explode this year and I need to be solid in order to help newcomers :)
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

I finally got TR3 to work. Their kernel has an issue with sata chipsets. I had to disable the sata onboard stuff and then it loaded ok.

It isn't bad but I like Mint better.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

I have had the same issue with 93a and the kids apps. like gcompris has no sounds, etc.

Until the repos grow a bit to add more family and youth oriented apps, I will continue to use PCLOS on my personal machine and Mint on my family PC.

I use KDE on mint, so a KDE version of Mint native would be great.

I would like to use the beryl,compiz stuff, if it's avialable in mint, but haven't figured out how to find/install/configure it in mint yet. when I do, I hope it shakes like thunder.
It's one of the main reasons I look forward to PCLOS 2007.

Big Bear
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I would like to use the beryl,compiz stuff, if it's avialable in mint, but haven't figured out how to find/install/configure it in mint yet. when I do, I hope it shakes like thunder
Beryl does indeed "shake like thunder" under Mint 2.2, at least in my experience and comparisons to other popular distros like PCLinuxOS 2007 TR3 and SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC2.

I find Minty Beryl is more peppy than with PCLOS or MEPIS hosts. :-) Among the distros that I recently test drove, only Fedora Core 6 betters Bianca for blistering Beryl.

The Beryl install process on Bianca is identical to Ubuntu Edgy, which is well documented (e.g. for nVidia).

Linux Mint 2.2 (Bianca)
GNOME 2.16.1, Beryl 0.2.0, nVidia driver 9755
AMD Athlon XP2200+
ASUS A7V8X-X, 1152MB DDR333
XFX GeForce FX5200 AGP8X 128MB
ATI TV Wonder VE (Bt878)
Hansol 920A 19-inch CRT

----
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

I did get Beryl running. aside from a couple of issues, it works just fine. I'm not really an eye candy fan. But it is neat to watch it do it's thang. LOL
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I'm not really an eye candy fan.
Me neither, really, but it's a chick-magnet in my office. ;-)

----
mrreality13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrreality13 »

ive only been using linux for about 4 months,I have a huge coaster collection :? 8) :lol: now and have fallen in love with
1st All ubuntu flavors(mint xubuntu fluxubuntu)as well a feisty box
2nd PclinuxOs as well as its little brother sam
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

PCLinuxOS has been down for a few days or something like that now - no idea what happened to them. Someone alluded to the fact that ibiblio kicked them due to taking up way too much bandwidth.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

They need to be forthcoming with the users. They mention a disk array failure at ibiblio and I cannot find anything about that and any of the other distros that are there are fine.

Rumour has it they were dumped by ibiblio for excess traffic.

As far as speed goes, have you ever tried any slackware based kde distros? I haven't found anything faster than the upcoming Vector Linux SOHO 5.8 which is based on Slackware.

Sadly I haven't had time to try mint's kde beta yet but I plan to in the next week or so.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I think they were right about Ibiblio, as when I checked 2 days ago they only had a few distros available for download. Today they have many more, including PCLOS (listed under Texstar).

PCLOS reached no. 2 on the 7-day DistroWatch last week, so there are a lot of people interested. They are searching for a better web host (and taking donations!).

It will be interesting comparing PCLOS and Mint, as they both will have Gnome, KDE, and XFce versions (Sam Linux is PCLOS w/ XFce). So it will be a Mandriva derivative vs. an Ubuntu derivative. I think these two will be the main distros winning over Windows converts.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

It appears as though they were dumped before anythign happened at ibiblio though and they are starting to admit that.

No need to sugar coat things or provide half truths. These are all good open source Linux Distributions so I don't see the benefit in trying to sugar coat and excuse.

If they outgrew ibiblio then that is actually an awesome feat and speaks volumes for their popularity.

Always tell the truth about things like this. You will gain more respect from those that count than to try to keep the fly-by-nighters that won't be around in a year anyway satisfied.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

One thing is fact: When someone made an unfair statement about Clem or Mint @PCLOS forum, the forum members jumped in with facts to backup Clem/Mint and show the poster his error.
I didn't get that impression. Quite the opposite in fact i noticed a lot of people saying their two favorite distributions were Mint for Gnome and PCLinuxOS for KDE. Everywhere I've looked I've seen people backing pclinuxos (may it be here or on distrowatch) and I have great respect for this distribution.

As far as I'm concerned when I think of the perfect Gnome desktop I think at how to make it better than Fedora's.... when I think of the perfect KDE desktop I think at how to make it better than PCLinuxOS's.

In its structure and size we're a bit like PCLinuxOS and we can learn from their experience and success. In the year to come our two distributions are going to become more and more popular and this is a very positive thing.

We've got two great distros, similar challenges and two passionate communities, let's appreciate that.

Clem
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Mint-O-Meal wrote:
Fragadelic wrote:It appears as though they were dumped before anythign happened at ibiblio though and they are starting to admit that.

No need to sugar coat things or provide half truths. These are all good open source Linux Distributions so I don't see the benefit in trying to sugar coat and excuse.

If they outgrew ibiblio then that is actually an awesome feat and speaks volumes for their popularity.

Always tell the truth about things like this. You will gain more respect from those that count than to try to keep the fly-by-nighters that won't be around in a year anyway satisfied.
Do you have any facts ? or do you enjoy being part of the rumor mill ?

http://www.mypclinuxos.com/index.php?op ... opic=940.0

Now why would ibiblio tell PCLOS
"Also, if the PCLinuxOS main website is down, and needed a hosting provider, why did they not ask ibiblio.org for free web hosting? We probably would not have minded..."
if they had kicked them off ?

One thing is fact: When someone made an unfair statement about Clem or Mint @PCLOS forum, the forum members jumped in with facts to backup Clem/Mint and show the poster his error.

Guess the same isn't afforded here :roll:
Oh brother :roll:

It was one of the PCLinuxOS devs that said that.

I am entitled to my opinion just like everyone else is entitled to theirs. When you start a sentence with "It appears...", that in no ways means the statement is fact but rather an opinion.

Lets leave this alone. I've helped the PCLinuxOS distro on the dev side - have you?
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Liked it

Post by donlinux »

I used PCLOS Jr., BigDaddy and have played with 2007. I'm using mint because I'm a gnome fan. I had zero problems with any hardware being recognized, speed or updates and I was not a paying member. I am now and am anxiously awaiting the PCLOS Gnome version. Until such time, I am a Bianca user, but if the Gnome version of PCLOS is as good as the KDE......
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

PCLOS is chugging along very well folks.

As a distro, they are making it the best it can be.

In regards to the forum and repos, well, that's the IT world for ya. being a community and volunteer distro, funds for "professional" or commercial services are limited if existent at all.

It is not advisable to link the forum and the distro as one and the same.

PCLOS the distro is the same strong distro it always has been and will continue to be.

PCLOS the site, is experiencing growing pains.

I agree with Clem.

Both PCLOS and Mint are fantastic distros and each has their own unique personality. giving the end user that much more choice in putting together the best system for their needs and purposes.

I have mentioned it before, but I don't see the as one is a "Gnome" distro, the other a KDE distro, for both distros have both wm's offered.

Instead, I see them as one is a great .deb distro the other a great .rpm distro.

I have seen people in other forums, ( yes pclos also) "diss" the buntus because of the sudo issue.

but they are not seeing the full issue.

they don't stop to think that sudo is one method of accessing privileges and admin resources, just as logging in as Root does the same.

sudo is available on almost all distros now, or easily installed.

logging in as root is a simple change in the giving root a password and enabling gdm to allow root to log into it.

bam, done, simple. buntus can be made "just like" all the others and all the others can be just like the buntu's.

it's just a matter of preference.

more of the great freedom of choice we all appreciate so much in Linux.
We need not argue about which is best, I suspect they are equal. only from different sides of the river.

Big Bear
justo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justo »

I like PC Linux TR3.I have loaded it on several computers with no problems.I also loaded it on my Toshiba Satellite M55 laptop.It was the only one that went right up and loaded beside XP without a problem and everything worked including my Atheros wireless card. I am on Mint Bianca Gnome on this PC.I have Mint KDE loaded with PC Linux TR3 on another here. I am satisfied with all of those.
Ignanik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ignanik »

Ok ... I dont get it ... I`m both a PCLOS and a mint user ... and have them both ... Both distros are great . And trust me , For me using anything that Is deb based has never been a nice experience until linux mint.

Then again Both mandriva and mandrake were not a nice experience ( rpm hell and the lack of support for non paying costumers )

And yes most non buntu users bash at sudo ...
But it just a question of habit :)

But in the end run, All linux distros have and have had their short comings . And that`s were WE come in .
AND by WE I`m thinking of the communities that stand by their distros and do their best to make them better Hey thats what makes linux great . . Imagine what would have happened if Linus Torvall didnt have friends ready for beta testing the kernel ...

Remember we are here because we value our freedom and Right to Chose and I think that we all share the idea that all software should be free for non commercial use.

So any distro ... small , big , ugly or nice is great in my book .

Mint and PClinuxOS are my favorites because they are both made on more or less the same ideas and have great communities . And they both work well :)

BTW PCLOS final is a lot better than the TR-s, I had 3d and gl ( had none of both that is ) problems on all the TR-s but have had none with the final
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I keep PCLOS and Mint on my computer also, as I like to play around with KDE and Gnome. BTW, I'm beginning to like Gnome more and more...
Remember we are here because we value our freedom and Right to Chose and I think that we all share the idea that all software should be free for non commercial use.
Yes, why should one have to pay for an operating system? I can see paying for support if you need it, but $400 so one can actually use their computer? MS should give their OS away, their real money maker is MS Office. Sales of Office 2007 is far outpacing Vista, per Amazon sales rankings. And don't get me started as to why DRM is part of a computer operating system...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If Microsoft had it's way everything would be web based and people would pay for subscriptions to use their software. There would be never ending fees generating revenue for Microsoft!

No matter what Linux distribution you use you are helping every computer user out there. Just think about it! Aren't you glad you use Linux!

Return to “Chat about Linux”