Tabs missing from taskbar

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Haekon

Tabs missing from taskbar

Post by Haekon »

I switched over to Mint 7 last night, if that gives you an idea of my skill level here :)

Of a few minor problems I'm having, one is that the buttons belonging to each open window no longer appear on the taskbar. I can still flip between windows via alt-tab, but if something gets minimized, that's the only way to find it at the moment. On a fresh install, the buttons were visible, but after a reboot, they weren't.

I'm dual-booting Vista Home Premium and Mint 7 on a Asus G50v laptop. (which was a %@*&ing NIGHTMARE to shoe-horn in, lemme tell ya)

The only things I've done so far to the OS are to apply fixes to wireless and sound, which are specific to this laptop. (added a intel 5000 and edit alsa-base.conf for a headphone out fix) I don't THINK that's anything that would muck up X (I'm winging it here) I've also ran an update through mintinstall. I've added no extra packages as of yet.

Thanks in advance for the help. Let me know if any additional info/screenshots are necessary.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Haekon

Re: Tabs missing from taskbar

Post by Haekon »

I knew this would happen....I'd post for help and then fix it myself.

right clicked on the taskbar and start screwing around with items in Add to Panel. I added a workspace switcher, jammed it over to the left, and somehow the buttons are back. I'm not gonna ask questions....I'm just going with it. :)
DrHu

Re: Tabs missing from taskbar

Post by DrHu »

Haekon wrote:right clicked on the taskbar...
It's called panel on the Gnome desktop, sometimes called kicker if you used the KDE version of Linux (including mint),

That's the correct method
  • Configuration issues on the desktop won't all be as easy as that to resolve.
http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.28/

I actually prefer the applet window selector, same method to Add to panel

But then I don't leave applications open on the desktop, which might be a good enough reason to use the workplace switcher selection.

Return to “Beginner Questions”