Can't Update

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The command should work. I would try again in case there was an error in the command.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
May sound silly, but you are using sudo dpkg --configure -a and not sudo 'dpkg --configure -a'?

Also have you tried opening Synaptic/Edit/Fix broken packages

Nick[/quote]
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
I pasted
E: The package virtualbox needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.
into Google and got:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2743028

It does suggest unistaling Synaptic then reinstalling, a bit drastic!

Have you tried downloading Virtualbox to home directory and then installing it
(I assume you where "opening with gdebi" when dowloading)

Nick
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've run into a similar problem my self and helped some people with such problems
One guy found
I found the solution to the problem after googling around a little, and it is really very simple. It seems that the problem occurs when the *.bin files in
Code:
/var/cache/apt/

become corrupted. Why they become corrupted seems to be a mystery and I don't have the time or knowledge to try to dig any further into this. But apparently it seems to just happen... Confused

The solution is to delete all *.bin files in that directory (which requires using sudo). After doing that, both Synaptic and apt-get work fine for me. I hope that this information can help others who get this problem. Cool
Then we have
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get check

use man apt-get to see all alternatives
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hope you put home on its own partition - nagging :)
It's really useful

Return to “Other topics”