Two Questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Two Questions

Post by jbaerbock »

Was wondering if there is a way to get into playing zone.com games but it requires IE in order to run them, Microsoft scheme I guess. Also how can I remove the Cassandra name from the start button and how can I remove the Cassandra from above the sign in name as well. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roseway
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roseway »

You might be able to play the games at zone.com by making your browser pretend that it's IE. In Konqueror it's a preference option ('Browser Identification') and in Firefox you can install the User Agent Switcher extension.

Eric
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

roseway wrote:You might be able to play the games at zone.com by making your browser pretend that it's IE. In Konqueror it's a preference option ('Browser Identification') and in Firefox you can install the User Agent Switcher extension.

Eric
Also, you can run Internet Explorer (IE6) under 'wine'.

Paul.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Ok thanks I'll give both options a try.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

stafio wrote:For the IE/Wine combination, your best bet is ies4linux.
Going over the instruction with respect to ies4linux and the link you provided, it says you have to change the source.list, but it only mentions dapper and edgy. Will it work for feisty?
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

stafio wrote:Good question. It looks like these instructions are slightly out of date. You still have to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file. Note that step 3 is not unnecessary for Mint since Universe is already enabled. Add these lines for downloading Wine rather than what's is on the ies4linux site:

Code: Select all

#WineHQ - Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn"
deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt feisty main 
deb-src http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt feisty main
The rest of the procedure is the same as what's listed there.
That worked, thanks!

BTW, how do you remove it if you want. I checked the synaptic manager with zero luck (I'm still a noob).
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the packages should be listed in synaptic.
check down the bottom left, you can list just the installed apps.

If you are wanting to remove the repos you can edit the file or deactivate them in the sources app found under administration. I think it is the 3rd party tab you want and just untick it.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Beginner Questions”