[SOLVED] Thunar file deletion woes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jwj

[SOLVED] Thunar file deletion woes

Post by jwj »

Generally thunar works fine for me, and I really like its simple and straightforward design. But there are two annoying issues I keep having, which may or may not be related. They tend to happen when large files are involved, say in the several hundred MB range (videos and CD images, for instance).

(1) When I try to "permanently delete" a list of directories (containing large files), it occasionally comes back with the informative pronouncement that "nothing was deleted". Aha...

(2) When emptying the trash containing large files (and sometimes when moving large files), the entire desktop freezes. As in no ctrl-alt-backspace/Fx --- only option is to hit the power button.

Doing these things using rm in bash seems to work fine. I have tried to look at some pertinent logs, but they do not seem to reveal anything that struck me as relevant to the problem, but of course I might have overlooked or misinterpreted stuff.

My setup: Mint 7 XFCE CE, Thinkpad T42p. All the updates are current.

Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated.

Best,

-- j
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Thunar file deletion woes

Post by lagagnon »

jwj wrote:(1) When I try to "permanently delete" a list of directories (containing large files), it occasionally comes back with the informative pronouncement that "nothing was deleted". Aha...
Are you positive that you have the correct permissions for all the files, directories and sub-directories of what you are trying to delete? If any one file is ownded by say "root" or you do not have correct priveledges, such a command will fail.
(2) When emptying the trash containing large files (and sometimes when moving large files), the entire desktop freezes. As in no ctrl-alt-backspace/Fx --- only option is to hit the power button.
I wonder if you might have a temporary file space problem? Post the output of "df -h" run in a terminal.
jwj

Re: Thunar file deletion woes

Post by jwj »

Hi lagagnon,

Thanks for the response. Yep, I checked the permissions, and df produces the expected result.

I did eventually "solve" the issue by doing the "Windowsy" thing --- I re-installed thunar. Everything works fine now, even though rather unsatisfyingly I have no idea why or what the problem was.

Thanks again,

-- j

Return to “Software & Applications”