Ubuntu 9.10 RC now available

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Ubuntu 9.10 RC now available

Post by waldo »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 RC now available

Post by grimdestripador »

this is like an RSS fead. Its so short you could even make it to a twitter. lets get a tinyurl on this for fun.
lexon

Post by lexon »

It is being discussed since sept 20th. You must have missed this discussion. It is difficult to find.

http://tinyurl.com/ygw4m58

Ok Tiny URL

http://tinyurl.com/yzszxda

In case no one knows about Tiny URL, here is the link.

http://tinyurl.com/

lex
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

lexon wrote:It is being discussed since sept 20th. You must have missed this discussion. It is difficult to find.
Couldn't have been. The RC was just posted today.
BTW, there are at least two public wi-fi places I get coffee that block TinyURL's. It's a neat service, and I use it often, but there must be a lot of problems with misuse.
lexon

Post by lexon »

OOps, my bad. It was the Beta being discuused.

lex
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

With Ubuntu they release the Release Candidate (RC) of a new version one week before the Final Release is released to the public.

Basically, the RC version IS the final release, the devs have done everything they are going to do to the new Karmic Koala 9.10.
This gives them an extra week to fix bugs and such, before they release the Final version to the public.
But, they will not be changing or adding anything else to the Karmic release.

I have been following Karmic 9.10 since Alpha 2, and upgrading the Daily Builds as they come.
It looks and feels like a good version of Ubuntu. I think most everyone will like it, and feel like they got 'something' worthwhile. Kudos to the Ubuntu Dev Team.

I also, know that Clem and the Mint Team have work to do ... and will do a great job with developing Helena-8 :mrgreen:
lexon

Post by lexon »

I am still going to wait for the Mint equivalent, though I will try 9.1 just cause I can. I have a couple spare drives I use to play with different distros. I like seeing how distros are becoming more user friendly, though I am far from being any kind of expert. My thing.

lex
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I've been running 64bit Kubuntu Jaunty on my big rig laptop for a while now, and I'll go ahead and dist-upgrade that to Karmic now that the RC is out.

The Mint machines that the wife/kids use won't get an upgrade until the new Mint comes out, and then I'm happy with 32bit. Even then, I might not upgrade since there is really nothing wrong with those computers at the present. Why fix what ain't broke? My usual reason to upgrade is to keep all of the linux boxen in the house on the same Ubuntu-base revision, although not necessarily the exact same kernel.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

On Sept 20, exploder posted the following comment on the Alpha 6 release of 9.10:
"They have a long way to go to get all that working! Ubuntu 9.10 is a total mess right now", and he was right. They have really fixed this thing up in a few short weeks! Nice work. It will be a fine base for Mint 8. Of course, there are a few more problems . . . (endless story!)
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

Just installed Karmic Koala and very unimpressed. The look hasn't changed since the last time I used it.. Hoary Hedgehog. Presentation is everything and Mint has that in spades (thank God).
andrew_D14

Post by andrew_D14 »

jaqian wrote:Just installed Karmic Koala and very unimpressed. The look hasn't changed since the last time I used it.. Hoary Hedgehog. Presentation is everything and Mint has that in spades (thank God).
Why the hell does everyone care about the way it looks? if you dont like it change it. Hell i bet more than half of this forum didn't keep everything linux mint has a default (i didnt cause i think its ugly). Function over fashion. Ive been testing out karmic for a while and its great. Theres a lot more changes than you think and i think its a lot faster and smoother than mint right now and i will definitely continue using it until mint 8 comes out.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

andrew_D14 wrote:
jaqian wrote: Function over fashion.
+1
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
dequire

Post by dequire »

andrew_D14 wrote:Function over fashion.
IMO Both are very important to the average user. Look at how many Windows and Vista PC's around the world whose users don't even know how (or care to) change a wallpaper.

Besides, elegance is one of the differentiators (of many) between Mint and Ubuntu / Kubuntu. Though Kubuntu looks a hell of a lot better out of the box than Ubuntu. But then again, I'm a little biased =)
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

Well as regards function afaik they all work the same. The only difference is Mint is easier to use thanks to its GUI and the fact that it includes all the codecs. If windows XP, Vista & 7 all still looked like win95 or win98 it would be very hard to convince people that there was any improvment never mind that it would look very ugly.

Return to “Chat about Linux”