Skype keeps breaking audio.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mooreted

Skype keeps breaking audio.

Post by mooreted »

I have had to go back to Windows because every time I leave the house for a few days I get a call that Skype isn't working again. Or I get an update and Skype audio has stopped working again. This time I spent days trying to troubleshoot Alsa and finally had to give up and installed Windows. Skype is our house phone. We need it.

Is there some trick to getting Skype to run stably and consitantly in Linux? Maybe a different distro? Different sound servers?

I've been using Linux since 2002 and I really hate to go back to Windows, but I don't have time to keep fixing things.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kaye

Re: Skype keeps breaking audio.

Post by Kaye »

Have you tried skype-static-oss? I've never had a problem with it.
mooreted

Post by mooreted »

Hmm, no haven't tried it. I have a USB headset and speakers for ringing, do you have a similar, working setup?
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I don't use a USB headset, but the ringing comes through on the speakers without a problem.
kei84

Post by kei84 »

I'm using the new 2.1 beta version that is available at their site.
It's working great. The sound, ringtone, mic, webcam everything.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=34753
  • port forwarding , last post
    I went into my router settings and port forwarded port 37975 to my computer and port 24838 to my wifes computer EUREKA!!!! Significant Sound Improvement and no more sound drops.
mooreted

Post by mooreted »

Huh, interesting. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks everyone.

Return to “Software & Applications”