menu question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rburkartjo

menu question

Post by rburkartjo »

okay this is dumb but i have the mint menu bar ( a slab type menu) on my to panel there does not seem to be a way to add a app to the desktop unless i also have the mint menu installed is this correct. or can someone tell me how to add an item to the desktop or panel using the4 mint menu bar/tks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: menu question

Post by Aging Technogeek »

To add a launcher to your desktop, right click on any open space on the desktop and select "Create Launcher" from the drop down menu. Fill in the name and command fields (the easiest way to find the proper command for an app already listed in the menu iis to right click on the menu icon, select "Edit Menu", browse to the app you want, highlight it, and click "Properties"). This will display the menu launcher. Copy and paste the required info. Click on the icon in the "Create Launcher" box and choose the proper icon for your app. Lastly, click "OK". The launcher will appear on your desktop.

If you want to create a launcher for an app not in the menu, you can usually use the name of the app as a launch command ( example: to launch Firefox 3.5, the app name and the launch command would be "firefox-3.5"). Again browse the icon set to find the proper icon if the launcher does not provide one when the launch command is filled in.

If nothing else works as a launch command, you can always launch an app by specifying the complete path to the executable file ( /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.2-firefox-3.5 launches Firefox Shiretoko).

To add a launcher to the panel, right click on the panel, select "Add to Panel" and choose either "Custom Application Launcher" or "Application Launcher" as appropriate. The creation of the launcher is the same as adding a launcher to the desktop. When done the app icon will appear in the panel.
rburkartjo

Post by rburkartjo »

tks aging for the info but that was not my question know how to do what you posted. my questions was on the two different menus and how to add a launcher to the desktop or panel like you can do with the mint menu bar but i want to do it with the mint menu
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

rburkartjo,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. If I am still misunderstanding what you want, my apologies in advance. As I understand you now, you are looking for a way to create a launcher from the mintMenu. There is no way I know of to start the application launcher creator from the menu. The only way I have ever gotten a desktop launcher from mintMenu is to drag a menu entry onto the desktop and drop it there - where it becomes a desktop launcher automatically.

There may be a way to do what I understand you to be looking for but I don't know of one. If some one who knows how to do this answers this post we can both learn something new.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

rburkartjo wrote:okay this is dumb but i have the mint menu bar ( a slab type menu) on my to panel there does not seem to be a way to add a app to the desktop unless i also have the mint menu installed is this correct.
Yes..
Unless you want to search through gconf-editor and see what can be done there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gconf-editor
As a default install of linux mint 7 (gloria) main edition (Gnome desktop)
--that has those mint (suse like SLAB menu)

In terminal, check
  • apt search mintmenu
    i mintmenu - The Linux Mint Menu for Gnome
at which point drag and drop from all Applications or creating your own launcher or using the applet from right-click desktop panel>Add to Panel
--allows adding a Custom Application Launcher or Application Launcher, or any of the other selections available.
rburkartjo

Post by rburkartjo »

dr tks for your advise

Return to “Beginner Questions”