Mint 7- Movie Player

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jmjhome

Mint 7- Movie Player

Post by jmjhome »

Hello all,

I would like to ask a question about the movie player that comes with Mint 7.

I have tried playing .wmv, and flash movies, and they play ok, but the viewing screen is small. Anyway to make it bigger? I have chosen full screen, and the border gets bigger, however the viewing screen still stays small.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dean

Re: Mint 7- Movie Player

Post by Dean »

Double click on the viewing screen itself, or right click on it and choose full screen. I'm assuming that you are trying to press the box in the right hand corner to get full screen . . . correct me if I'm wrong.
jmjhome

Post by jmjhome »

Hi Lukios,

Thank you for your reply.

I thought of that too, and it seems totally logical.
Unfortunately, though, when choosing full screen, it is still a small video but changes in that it now has a large black border around it.

Any more ideas are welcome :)

Cheers
Anthony
Dean

Post by Dean »

I'm not sure exactly is the problem with your movie player, but have you tried using vlc player?
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Can you play regular movies in full screen?
jmjhome

Post by jmjhome »

Hello,

Well, I worked out how to change preferred applications in Firefox, I changed wmv preferred application from gecko to (movie player or vlc) and then I was able to play the wmv movie sent to me in full size and full screen. Also, on a certain website, it has listed a few ways to get their live tv on internet video, including Flash at 100, 300, 500K, and Windows media player. Depending on which of the flash choices I choose, some will be small, some will go to full size. I don't quite understand it all, but I don't need to, as long as I can choose one that works which I now can.
For Windows media player, alas, I changed that preferred application to vlc but that has not changed thus far........perhaps after a restart?

Thank you all for your help, you gave me info and ideas to try which helped me get to where I am.

Cheers
Anthony

PS- Thank you to the Linux Mint 7 developers, it is a great program!

Return to “Beginner Questions”