grub loading error 18

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jjude

Re: grub loading error 18

Post by Jjude »

ill give that a go tx, ill try anything right now. though i do think ill be looking at a new pc in near future.

Not sure if all this is a bit beyond my capabilities.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

If you get stuck or have questions you could take a snapshot of the screen or process.

Basically take your time and in the edit tab on the menubar there is a undo function.

Right click on the partitions in the screen will give you menu option of what to do with the selected partition. Maybe a delete of the current partitions then recreate new ones just adjust them for size and format (ext3,ext4,reiser,ect.). Once a partition has been sized and a format selected just remember to format it. Remember to give yourself a swap partition also, or just format the whole thing as ext3 or ext4 and the installer should set you up with a swap partition.

Right now it would just be nice for the drive to be formatted in a format that the installer can digest.
Jjude

Post by Jjude »

Thank you for all your help Maddog, but it is all a little beyond me, but we havent lost yet. Got a friend who uses ubuntu and is a lot more technical than I, and he is going to have a look for me, so will keep you posted if netbook can be saved.

Must say this is a great forum, especially when your trying to help from so far away.

Thanks.
Jjude

Post by Jjude »

Just an update, its was deffinately the drive not being able to be read to.... everything that was tried, failed to read/write, been in touch with asus as netbook is only 14 months old, and they are fixing/replacing as the case may be. So thanks maddog, i learnt a few things trying what u suggested, even though we werent successful

Jj x

Return to “Beginner Questions”