Is it a bad sign that Mint ran a "drive check" when booting?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Is it a bad sign that Mint ran a "drive check" when booting?

Post by altair4 »

Nope, it does that by design. It will do that every 30 (?) or so boots. Just one of those "little" things that differentiates linux from Windows. Windows waits for a catastrophe to happen before it suggests a check disk. :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

Windows - or disk checks unnecessarily 50 times a day until you turn it off out of annoyance and end up not checking when it's actually needed
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

altair4 wrote:Nope, it does that by design. It will do that every 30 (?) or so boots. Just one of those "little" things that differentiates linux from Windows. Windows waits for a catastrophe to happen before it suggests a check disk. :wink:
Is that actually the right number because roughly that would be once a month but my computer seems to do it about once a week, I only turn the computer on once a day and turn it off at night, unless I'm switching to Windows but that's rare?
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

gibbs1984 wrote:Is that actually the right number because roughly that would be once a month but my computer seems to do it about once a week, I only turn the computer on once a day and turn it off at night, unless I'm switching to Windows but that's rare?
That's why I put the (?) mark there - I couldn't remember :oops:

If you open a terminal and type: sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 ( change sda1 to whatever partition you're interested in ), it should show you the interval - I think ( ? - there's that "?" again) it's labeled as "Maximun mount count".

EDIT: that "-l" is a lower case "L"
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

It's a normal ext file system check, but if it is ext3 as it is likely to be rather than ext2 (the original, which might be helped by these file checks)
--there is probably a question as to whether or not any journaled file system needs these checks (ext3) being an example of such a file system

You can also change the interval of fs checks
--and if you have smartdrive enabled in the BIOS already and possibly have Linux smart tools installed, why even do any fs checks
http://hack2live.blogspot.com/2009/02/u ... oring.html

But it is a minor annoyance on the occasional boot
--have a donut or a longer coffee break , while the system boots..
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I consider this a "problem", but for reasons very different than those who say this is not a problem.

Yes, this is a routine design feature of the file system to self-check and repair.

The PROBLEM is that if you're seeing this, it means you're routinely rebooting. :D
lexon

Post by lexon »

I asked the same question here quite a few months ago and got the same answer. I see that every so often but I shut down my PC every night. Been doing that for years. If I am in a hurry, I just hit the Esc key.

lex
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

I posted with a similar question here a while back. Because I'm on a dual-boot laptop and frequently reboot, I find myself having to sit through fsck at least once every couple days.

If any interested parties care to search my posts, I believe it was Fred who provided me with a quick primer on the tune2fs command.

Personally, I scheduled my bootup fsck to run once a month, rather than every-so-many boots. Seems sufficient.

Return to “Beginner Questions”