Questions about the graphics

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bageer

Questions about the graphics

Post by Bageer »

I am a new linux user and am switching from windows xp. Probably the main thing I am disliking is the way it looks. Everything seems big and or zoomed in compared to xp. For example when I am visiting youtube.com or linuxmint.com I have to scroll side to side to see the whole thing. It seems like that for everything.When I have seen videos of people using linux (usually ubuntu) it does not seem like that but they also have their graphics changed alot.
My questions are: Is this the way it is suppose to look? Could this be changed (I am using the official version which I believe is GNOME)? If it can be changed how can I change it? If it can't would the KDE version or some other version make the size of everything closer to what I would like?
If you need more info please ask but at the same time please give an answer to what you think the problem is.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kaye

Re: Questions about the graphics

Post by Kaye »

Well, it definitely isn't supposed to be like that out of the box (websites should be rendering correctly). Sounds like a resolution issue to me. Perhaps your system defaulted to a low resolution, which sometimes happens depending on your hardware. Have you looked into that at all?
Bageer

Post by Bageer »

I discovered a while after that it had me set to 800x600 when my monitor is 1024x768, but when I went to edit the display is said something about go to root and run nvidia-xconfig (I typed sudo nvidia-xconfig). It came up with some file names and back up things. I was not really sure what to do so after research into that I read that you needed to hold ctrl, alt, and backspace after you type that stuff. I did this and I ended up with monitor trouble so I switched monitors. After that I was able to change the resolution to what it was suppose to be. I am not exactly sure what I did with the command lines but it worked.

In short it is fixed and thank you for your reply. Linux looks much better now
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Bageer wrote:I discovered a while after that it had me set to 800x600 when my monitor is 1024x768...
After that I was able to change the resolution to what it was suppose to be. I am not exactly sure what I did with the command lines but it worked.

In short it is fixed and thank you for your reply. Linux looks much better now

If you find that your new settings do not hold after rebooting check out these topics:
One topic to see for making your nvidia graphic settings sticky is: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3908
or a newer thread using the GUI tools. viewtopic.php?f=59&t=19908&hilit=x+conf+graphic#p118155

Return to “Beginner Questions”