From Windows to Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wtbennington

From Windows to Linux

Post by wtbennington »

First, I just want to say that I am someone whom is rather new to Linux and trying to adjust and fine a distro that truly fits me.

It has been my experience that KDE is much better looking and much more comfortable to use as someone whom is used to Windows. It is my understanding that Mint Linux is meant to try to be a nice easy to use distro that is geared towards new Linux users.

So why does Linux Mint use Gnome as its primary desktop distro and not KDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kaye

Re: From Windows to Linux

Post by Kaye »

KDE is definitely not easier coming from Windows judging by my experience and the experiences of many others I know of firsthand. I don't know where you heard that.
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

To each his (or her) own tastes

Gnome has a closer similarity to a Windows XP set up from my experience. I read somewhere they follow the "desktop metaphor".
Though KDE is great, it has a few more drawbacks

KDE varies a lot from major version(3.X) to version(4.X) jumps, with compatibility breaking until fixed in minor version releases, this alone makes it difficult to retain it as a main version. Especially with keeping standards in check before committing to repositories.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Ohh please save me from another entirely subjective discussion of KDE vs. Gnome. This is getting decidedly boring....
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

lagagnon wrote:Ohh please save me from another entirely subjective discussion of KDE vs. Gnome. This is getting decidedly boring....
I agree. We can answer the question, "So why does Linux Mint use Gnome as its primary desktop distro and not KDE?" easily: Because Clem decided it should be that way!

Really though, googling "Gnome vs KDE" will turn up a million discussions on the topic if you really want a side by side comparison of the two.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I had a much easier time with KDE than I did with Gnome when I first started using Linux.

However Mint's version of Gnome is unlike any other I've seen and was the first Gnome distro that stayed on my computer more than two weeks.

Getting back to the OP, there's probably at least a few reasons why Gnome is the main desktop

1) Clem likes Gnome (After all it's just a matter of taste)

2) AFAIK Gnome is the more popular DE

3) Since Mint is based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu uses Gnome as it's main DE Mint is naturally following suit.
dequire

Post by dequire »

Kaye wrote:KDE is definitely not easier coming from Windows judging by my experience and the experiences of many others I know of firsthand. I don't know where you heard that.
wow... a bit harsh maybe? My experience has been 100% the same as the OP. The last PC I re-did (Mint-ized) was for a friend. Because of k3b and Amarok and many other reasons he gave, he had KDE 4.3.2 on in less than a week. He also said the GUI looked "a hell of a lot less blocky and more modern.

To each their own. IMO Gnome looks very long in the tooth for a "modern" OS. Mint does a good job to try and overcome this. Of course, this will all change when Gnome3 hits Mint in '10 or '11.
dequire

Post by dequire »

SxFlare wrote:To each his (or her) own tastes

Gnome has a closer similarity to a Windows XP set up from my experience. I read somewhere they follow the "desktop metaphor".

KDE varies a lot from major version(3.X) to version(4.X) jumps, with compatibility breaking until fixed in minor version releases, this alone makes it difficult to retain it as a main version. Especially with keeping standards in check before committing to repositories.
I think KDE is pretty well past all that now. KDE4 was released in January '08.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

lagagnon wrote:Ohh please save me from another entirely subjective discussion of KDE vs. Gnome. This is getting decidedly boring....
Hell, you think this is boring , jump on
over to the "Text Editor Wars" for some real excitement :roll:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... cs#p201920

peace
mick
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

dequire wrote:
SxFlare wrote:To each his (or her) own tastes

I think KDE is pretty well past all that now. KDE4 was released in January '08.
true, but still to each their own taste

I don't care which of the two I use, as long as I get things done :roll:
dequire

Post by dequire »

The point is the OP asked an innocent question - one I'm sure many people have asked. It's worth discussing, even if hypothetical. If someone doesn't want to participate, why hit the PostRelpy button?

I can't find the post - it's been a while - But I recall Clem stating once that the usage figures for KDE were pretty impressive. Esp. considering the Gnome bent that Ubuntu and Mint have.
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

I think both Gnome and KDE are bloated disorganized messes. XFCE, LXDE and similar WMs lack configurability (Who wants to sit and edit XML files by hand, FFS?). IceWM, FVWM, and the other, third-tier, minimalist WMs, while fine for the dedicated hobbyist or the person with way too much time on their hands, are not really ready for prime-time because of the same lack of configurability plus their dated looks.

I've never been able to tolerate KDE for more than a few days at a time, though I've used it on&off for about two years. I'd ditch Gnome in a heartbeat if something better came along. For now, I'm left with removing the silly panels and using third-party apps to duplicate functionality - e.g., grun for a run dialog, AWN for a task manager/launcher, conky for a system monitor and clock/calendar, etc.
JahBless

Post by JahBless »

Optimize Me, which version of conky are you using? and can you post a screenshot of conky on your desktop please.
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

JahBless wrote:Optimize Me, which version of conky are you using? and can you post a screenshot of conky on your desktop please.
Just whatever version is available in Gloria's repos.

I have a screenie posted in the Conky thread.
JahBless

Post by JahBless »

muchas gracias! nice looking conky dude. i think im gonna have to give it a big block of time to get it exactly how i want it. nice one for the post boast!
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Ooo, here's mine :)

Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Gotta keep in mind that KDE is more resource intensive and cannot be used on as many computers a gnome could be. Gnome has more then enough functionability for the average user, while still being fairly easy to use. Each has their own preference, just try each out and see what you like. But as others have said, Clem likes gnome and has modified it to be user friendly, so that is what is used for the standard release.
wtbennington

Post by wtbennington »

Well since I started it, First I want to say thanks for the posts.

Second, I want to say I did not post this to have a debate on which is better. I was simply asking why one was chosen over the other. So I want to thank those who did respond in that manner such as markcynt and a couple others.

Third, personally for me I like KDE far more than Gnome but it seems like most of the popular distro's make it a second option outside of SUSE at the moment. I am trying to learn and getting more comfortable with it but still have a ways to go, and it can be very frustrating.

As far as working out of the box I do like Mint KDE and Open Suse the best but it seems like where one is strong the other is weak and needs tweaking.

Return to “Beginner Questions”