Creating new LiveCD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
UncleFester

Creating new LiveCD

Post by UncleFester »

Hi, have a question I hope someone can answer for me, and I hope I can ask it in this forum. Have been busy 'spreading the word' for a while now - introduced quite a few people (inc previous Linux users) to this great distro, with a large degree of success - I volunteer with a charity and have been installing Mint on quite afew PCs too, feedback is good but I have hit a snag.
With a large multi-cultural community (a lot of whom are advancing in years) decided to remaster the LiveCD in Chinese and Arabic, for distribution to these groups - problem is that I found the ISO too large (not by much, about 50 meg) to burn as a CD. Can anyone help? Anything I could remove that is not too disastrous (want to keep oOo).
Would appreciate your help...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rippedcb

Re: Creating new LiveCD

Post by rippedcb »

burn it on to a DVD?? or create a live USB drive??
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I second the idea of using a DVD. I create remastered DVDs of my installed system in case of disaster, (I have small children that can cause disaster...). I have always had to use a DVD to be able to keep everything I want in place. By using a DVD I can have the system up and running in 10 - 15 minutes and it is just like nothing ever happened. :D
Dean

Post by Dean »

are you using remastersys or mintconstructor?
UncleFester

Post by UncleFester »

Sorry, should have been a bit clearer - happen to know that some of the target PCs have no DVD - only CD drives (still happens!), and I don't have the funds to distribute USB drives. Have the DVD burnt already, just wanted to shrink to 700 mb to aid in accessibility. Obviously I could just distribute the Mint LiveCD, and have an install guide translated, but wanted to try to make a LiveCD available in those languages.

Sorry for not being clearer

I was using remastersys - didn't know about mintconstrutor
nadir

Post by nadir »

have you tried
apt-get clean
apt-get autoremove
aptitude purge ~c
before packing it back together?
localpurge is installed per default on mint, isnt it?
i think you may have a look in /var/log for ***.gz files, but on a fresh install its useless.

my first thought was removing gparted, as its quite big when its getting installed, but removing it didnt free much of space. As you said: a good (=easy) choice would be replacing OO with abiword. If theres a second kernel..., but i dont think there is. The gtk2-engines are quite a bunch of MB, iirc. firefox and thunderbird are quite heavy too. cups. java (for whatever it is good for i dont know :-) )
just ideas...what i would try.

its not that easy, as some packages are big when getting installed but dont give you profit when removing them. Check in synaptic, and remove them from the terminal (apt-get remove --purge packagename) and you will be told what you win. If it aint much choose no and keep the package. Everything gnome depends on as a metapackage will give you ( a bit of ) trouble.
Dean

Post by Dean »

I would suggest doing as nadir said or use mintconstructor which is mints version of reconstructor. The image will be smaller due to the fact that certain things (language packs) will actually be installed during installation instead of being included on disk. You will also not have remastersys left over on your system. Like nadir was suggesting, you will often times have files left in your /var/cache/apt/archives/ from your previous installation and that can take up a lot of space.
UncleFester

Post by UncleFester »

Cheers for the suggestions, will have a play today and see what happens.

Return to “Beginner Questions”