reccomended software updates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimbo160

reccomended software updates

Post by jimbo160 »

Can someone relate to me, how you decide which update you download? They all mean nothing to me as to what exactly they do, therefore makeing it hard to decide the ones i need. Do you just download them because they are reccomended?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: reccomended software updates

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You will generally be safe if you download just the Level 1 and Level 2 updates. Level 3 updates are almost as safe as the 1 and 2 Levels. Unless you like fixing a broken OS, I would not bother with Levels 4 and 5.

As far as deciding which updates to install, as a rule I take all Level 1 and 2 updates that pertain to anything I am using (ex. I use Firefox so any Firefox update gets installed. I don't use Thunderbird so I don't update it). It gets a little more difficult with Level 3 updates because they often are for lib files and apps that run in the background so you may not know whether a certain update applies to your system. At first I just ignored all Level 3 updates but as I get to the way Linux in general, and Mint in particular, works I've been selectively installing Level 3 updates that I know my system can use.

Once you learn a little more about the internal workings of Mint, you can make better use of the thumbnail descriptions of the files and apps affected by an update to help you decide what to install.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

In the LinuxMint Update Manager, the dev team has taken the time, to rate the updates for safety of install and dependancies. Safety ratings from 1 to 5

It is recommended that you update the first 3 ratings only, as they have been tested and proven safe for which-ever version of LinuxMint you are using. Of course, you may, google and or read about the updates and what each does before you update. You can usually go to Synaptic Package Manager and read the synopsis about each and every update.

Those updates with ratings of 4 and 5 ... have been included for updates but have not been tried and tested. So, those you may update, 'at your own risk'. Again, read the synopsis in Synaptic (or MintInstall) before making a choice. Of course, you don't "have to" update at all. The choice is yours. "If it ain't broken don't fix it"

Those Linux users that came over from Windows ... have to learn, that Linux OS is about 'choice.' You have the freedom to choose.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

I used to do 1-3 levels but after pondering some possible issues i decided a while ago to do only 1 & 2 and Forget 3's. That is just me - 1 and 2 are proven safe and 3 is thought to be Ok - but not proven from my understanding. I must add that i never had issues when i updated level 3; but decided to be ultra conservative on this aspect.
Last edited by GrayWizardLinux on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
jimbo160

Post by jimbo160 »

Thanks for the information, and i will use that as my guidline for what to download. Thanks again, Jimmy
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:I used to do 1-3 levels but after pondering some possible issues i decided a while ago to do only 1 & 2 and Forget 3's.... I must add that i never had issues when i updated level 3; but decided to be ultra conservative on this aspect.
Same here. I only update the 3s if they are for applications which I frequently use.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

You should make updates from 1 to 3 levels. If you are an "advanced" user you can make also updates from 4 or 5 levels, they break not so often people says.... even if it's Ubuntu. Even kernel updates are safe if you keep the current kernel, in case. If the new kernel breaks something, just reboot on the last "good" kernel and... no problem! :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
jimbo160

Post by jimbo160 »

ok, from what i see, all 1 and 2 level updates are done. only level 3 remain. have not figured out yet about 3, for i am not useing linuxmint long enough to have preferred programs.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

No, don't seek! Do not ask you unnecessary questions! By default, I guess, the updates from levels 1 to 3 are allowed, make them, period! They are safe ("to forget" the updates of level 3 is an error for me)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Post by linuxviolin on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:57 am
No, don't seek! Do not ask you unnecessary questions!
How rude ! . . this is a forum for asking questions and getting help . . . ?

jimbo160, you can ask any question here as far as I'm concerned :) , there are sub-forums for every topic . . .

regards, richy
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

richyrich wrote:How rude ! . . this is a forum for asking questions and getting help . . . ?
Rude? Well, I didn't understand it like that... I'm sorry if you and maybe jimbo160 understand it as "rude", it was not my intention. :roll:

I just wanted to say him/her to make just all the default updates (levels 1 to 3, I guess), without asking her/himself unnecessary questions. Especially as it seems not to be an experienced user.... :wink:
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have been downloading everything on three PC's with no issues since I started with Mint 7. Maybe I am just lucky.

lex

Return to “Beginner Questions”