Songbird problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldlearner

Songbird problem

Post by oldlearner »

I installed Songbird from the Packing Manager and all went well. But for no apparent reason when i started Songbird this morning and selected the genre/type of music i wanted to listen to and the music started to play the screen became very dark and i had no control over the program. I couldn't stop or minimize it. Until eventually i was forced to click on "Force quit".

I even went as far as uninstalling and then reinstalling the program but the problem still persisted?

I really like using Songbird and would hate to be without it. So could anyone please help an oldster like myself and suggest a way to resolve this problem and let me get back to my music.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: Songbird problem

Post by MaddogF16 »

How much RAM do you have and how big of a processor? Sounds like it just may be maxxing the system.
oldlearner

Post by oldlearner »

The computer is about 4 years old with 1.5GB of memory unfortunately i don't know the size of the processor.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Well you could get Songbird up on your screen (about 1/2 screen), then open a terminal and type "top", this should show what's using up resources, now try to start Songbird again and see if anything pegs the cpu hard.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Sorry, not a Sonbird aficionado, but an easy way to look at your system specs is to open a terminal and type : inxi -v 4 (enter) . . :)
oldlearner

Post by oldlearner »

What if i was to remove any unwanted and/or unused programs that were installed by default. For instance i don't use Thunderbird or any of the Open Office programs on this computer.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Unless they run something in the background, removing a unused program will only free up some HD space. Running top in a terminal will give a list of running processes and their load on the system.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

One thing that I've found, and now do with all of my Mint pc's, is to go into the Control center -> Services, and Control center -> Startup Applications, and un-check ALL of the bluetooth stuff, as I don't use it at all. ( this freed up over 50 mb of ram ! :shock: )

I'm on my Xfce machine right now, and this is my Autostart settings . .
Screenshot.png

Return to “Software & Applications”