cheese stopped working with upgrade of gstreamer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BandonRandon

cheese stopped working with upgrade of gstreamer

Post by BandonRandon »

Hello,

I am running Mint 7 Gloria Main Edition for several months now. I'm still a Linux newbie but definitely getting better. I recently wanted to upgrade my Pidgin install to Pidgin 2.6.1 this required getting the latest version of gstreamer (I believe 0.10.24) I compiled everything from source and Pidgin is working great (just upgraded to 2.6.3 today.)

I am now having a problem where I can't use my webcam with cheese. When I open cheese I get the following error message: "One of more needed gstreamer elements are missing: gconfaudiosrc,gconfvideosink." according to the information I found both are part of the GStreamer Good Plugins 0.10 which Synaptic says i have installed.

I tried the kitchen sink approch where I installed all the gstreamer elements that looked like they might fix the issue and that were in Synaptic. I also tried to install and reinstall cheese a few time. If anyone has any other ideas that would be very much appreciated.

Brooke
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: cheese stopped working with upgrade of gstreamer

Post by Husse »

I have searched quite a bit for this but no luck
Sorry
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Probably need to upgrade or rebuild cheese against the newer gstreamer libs. Just guessing the version of cheese you have isn't compatible with the new gstreamer. I'd check what version of cheese you're at and see if there's a newer version, but then that may break something else, welcome to dependencies. :wink:
BandonRandon

Post by BandonRandon »

Thank you both for your responses. I think MaddogF16 is right, there is a new version of Cheese out. I half way started playing with the dependancies of cheese but that lead to another set of problem. At this point I'm thinking i'll wait a month till the November release of Linux Mint 8 which should come with/or have in Semantic the latest versions of both Cheese and Pidgin, or so I would hope.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

That's probably the best call right now, unless you absolutely needed cheese. Have you tried wxcam.
BandonRandon

Post by BandonRandon »

No I haven't i'll give that a go when I get home. :)
Thanks
BandonRandon

Post by BandonRandon »

I just looked up wxcam and downloaded the .deb. It gives me this error: Error: "Dependency is not satisfiable: libmjpegtools0c2a (>= 1:1.8.0)" I don't know why because from what I can tell i have jpegtools 1:1:9 installed.

Oh well guess I'm not meant to have a webcam for a bit.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Where'd you find the .deb?
BandonRandon

Post by BandonRandon »

After I Googled wxcam I was taken to the official site (http://wxcam.sourceforge.net). The download link on sourceforge had a deb so i figured it would try it. I guess to clearly answer your question, I got it from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxcam/files/
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Gqcam in synaptic, don't know if it has all the function you're looking for.
BandonRandon

Post by BandonRandon »

Thanks for all your help. I'm really just looking for a simple webcam app so gqcam should work fine. I apparently already had it installed (I think I installed it when cheese first started messing up) however, it didn't install an icon. This is gonna be a newbie question but how do I run it? I tried alt+f2 and then typed in gqcam but nothing happens.

Thanks.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Could right click on your main panel and add the run program, then just click on the icon placed in the panel (whether you have it top or bottom or both)type gqcam in the search box and that should get you going.
BandonRandon

Post by BandonRandon »

Yeah that's the weird thing, if i type gqcam in the search panel no programs come up. I have the option to install gqcam but I'm pretty sure it's already installed. I must be doing SOMETHING wrong.

thanks
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

BandonRandon wrote: I have the option to install gqcam but I'm pretty sure it's already installed. I must be doing SOMETHING wrong.
thanks
To check on the installation --
Go to Menu > Package Manager (Synaptic)
enter gqcam in the quicksearch box
and check to see if it has a green box to indicate that it is installed.
BandonRandon

Post by BandonRandon »

Thanks,

It's definitely installed, I also did a "reinstall" so I know it's there just not how to open it. :?
BandonRandon

Post by BandonRandon »

Thanks everyone for all your help this issue has now been resolved. I wish I had a better answer for how I did it. I started having a problem where I was unable to access "Computer" which could not wait for the next release of Mint to be fixed. I was afraid I would be forced to do a clean install but after Googling THAT issue I found this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801597. The two things from there I did were installing the latest version of "gvfs" from source and resetting "/usr/local". The problem seems to be caused by GTK+ and glib. Somehow resting this fixed cheese as well.

Just thought I would give everyone an update.

Return to “Software & Applications”