XORG starts eating up cycles

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fuminori

XORG starts eating up cycles

Post by fuminori »

After using Mint 7 main problem free for about a month my system has started slowing down with mouse lagging and media skipping after running for 5 hours or so and gets continually worse. Htop tells me the worst offender is Xorg which runs at under 1% for the first hour or so then gradually accumulates share of the CPU.
At first I had thought this was due to switching to Openbox but the problem is the same in Gnome now, another difference is that I swapped out network manager for wicd which probably has nothing to do with it.
Had been running Jaunty fine for months beforehand so I doubt it's hardware specific.

Possibly relevant:
Kernel 2.6.28-15-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 7 Gloria - Main Edition
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T5750 (SMP) clocked at 1000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.6.0 Res 1280x800@60.0hz
Disks: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (30.1% used)
Info: Processes 164 Uptime 4:14 Memory 806.1/2986.1MB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
optimize me

Re: XORG starts eating up cycles

Post by optimize me »

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice for your specific problem as of right now.

I have similar hardware and the same Xorg version as you (Intel integrated graphics fix?) and I do have a problem with X taking off at seemingly random times and eating a ton of processor power. I did happen to notice, however, that when it's happening, something is triggering a massive write to my swap partition (I have a thread here that I started concerning that). The hard-disk activity light turns on and doesn't turn off; the partition fills to the brim with data and X keeps writing away. The only way to stop the process is for me to kill and restart X with the ctrl-alt-backspace key combo.

Next time it happens, if you would, try and take a look at your swap usage. If you can drop to a terminal and issue the 'free -m' command, you could see your swap usage and tell if it's the same thing or not.

It's not a problem I've encountered in three years of using Linux. The only thing that strikes me as odd is the fact we have similar hardware and are using the same X version. It could be a bug, but seeing as Jaunty (Gloria) is due to be replaced in the coming weeks, I doubt we'll ever see a fix issued for it.
fuminori

Re: XORG starts eating up cycles

Post by fuminori »

Yeah, so it's happening again, after 4 days of uptime. Swap usage is at 0%, Memory at 21%, CPU load is 50% with both cores roughly even. The thing is Xorg isn't even taking up a large percentage and is only just above stuff like firefox and htop, It's just that I notice it started cropping up over time after this started happening. I'm totally mystified as to what is going on.

Return to “Software & Applications”