Help with rearranging dual-boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FSin

Help with rearranging dual-boot

Post by FSin »

I am completely clueless when it comes to Linux, and I don't feel that comfortable messing around with these things because I don't understand them.
Nonetheless, I have a fervent desire (2words that seem to like eachother) to replace my Ubuntu with Mint (Elyssa KDE Live DVD).
My computer is running WinXP and Ubuntu at the moment on the one hard drive, with GRUB bootloader. From what I can make out Win has 1 partition, GRUB has 1, and Ubuntu has 5, some of which are sub-partitions, or meta-partitions, or something.

I think what I want to do is to repartition the HD, not touching the WinXP partition, and leave all the rest as unused space. Could I then use the Mint DVD to boot straight into Mint, then install it and set up GRUB to like my Windows partition, and my Mint partitions? :?

Questions that arise in my ignorant mind are: GRUB is on its own little partition, can I leave GRUB untouched and just replace everything else?
The problem with using the existing Ubuntu partitions for Mint, is that for some reason QtParted doesn't recognise my hda as being partitioned at all. its just a drive, ful stop. hdb is unstable and not to be used for os.

As i said, i am clueless, so if anybody has a completely different gameplan to suggest, or wants to rearrange my idea machine, please do. :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FSin

Re: Help with rearranging dual-boot :D

Post by FSin »

Wahey!!
I did it. Bit risky altogether but it is working fine from what I can see so far!

.lots of google
.cfdisk told me why GPartEd wouldn't read my HDD
.fixed it with fdisk (delete\rearrange partitions)
.deleted partitions with GPartEd (sorry QtPartEd)
.Installed Mint!!
-all done through mint live cd.. :)

Yay!! :lol: :D

EDIT: i might have spoken too soon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”