Hard Drive - Do I Have Enough Space?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint antonio44
Sorry, but 1.99 GB is not enough - a complete install is at least 2.04 GB.
You could put /home, /boot, /usr on separate partitions, /usr is around 500 MB, but it would still be rather cramped
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Four months ago I was staring at Linux and Mint with open eyes and thought what the...
But Mint turned out to be really easy to handle, as was using a terminal. But there is a step to get over - yes...
Look around a bit and learn about Linux while you are sorting this out
This one is not to hard on you (but a little bit outdated - but it does not matter much)
http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html
You have to relearn a few things, among them what a harddisk, or a partition is in Linux. It's just another folder. On my main computer /Home is on a separate partition - but you don't see that - when you open /Home it's just like opening any other folder. (Home is where you have your stuff - unlike Windows you only have your stuff in Home - period)
So what I suggested was that you installed with one of the disks as /root - the main disk and that you put /home, and /usr on some partition on another disk
(Don't despair, when you move through the steps of your installation you choose to make partitioning yourself and hopefully what follows is clear enough for you to understand)
A live CD is a bootable CD that presents you with "a glimpse" of what you will get. Most live CDs have an option to install (ours has)
Finally a computer with so small disks most likely has very little memory - you should have at least around 300 MB RAM. It is possible with less, but with 256 MB you may have to do some tricks to bypass that. You can run an installed Mint on 256 MB, but the live CD needs more memory
I know this is a bit much but the restrains your hardware gives....
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
I know you would like to install Mint but if you do not have much memory and disc space maybe Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux might be worth a try.
See: http://distrowatch.com/

A live CD is a CD which gives you a complete operating sytem running from your CD without affecting your other operating system

Nick
Husse

Post by Husse »

I agree with Nick - I just get so focused on the problem that I forget that. I don't know much about Puppy but DSL is nice.
Possibly Knoppix would work too.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Puppy is Australian so of course it is better than DSL.

:lol:

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Installation & Boot”