Checking out Kubuntu 9.10

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Checking out Kubuntu 9.10

Post by exploder »

I didn't know about the RAID issue, though, as my box has only two HDDs and I've never run a RAID setup. That does sound serious, I hope the Mint team can sort something out.
We have been looking for an answer to this but so far no luck... This is a pretty tough issue to deal with because of all of the changes in the 9.10 base. Ubuntu has a bad habit of leaving things broken and moving on to the next release. The biggest focus is on the upcoming LTS release.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Also... extracting a zip file in a directory... after it finishes... you can't see it.... and the folder doesn't show up until a logout and re login is done..
I have seen this too! If you close Dolphin and then go back into it the folder will show up. It's like Dolphin does not refresh like it should... I have not checked to see if the same thing happens in Konqueror yet.
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

exploder wrote:
Also... extracting a zip file in a directory... after it finishes... you can't see it.... and the folder doesn't show up until a logout and re login is done..
I have seen this too! If you close Dolphin and then go back into it the folder will show up. It's like Dolphin does not refresh like it should... I have not checked to see if the same thing happens in Konqueror yet.
Yeah... I've had that before also... and closing and opening dolphin worked.... but for some reason... it didn't work in Kubuntu for me... i actually had to logout and login again. Lol!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

kaddy, could you tell me what graphics card you are using? I am using on-board Intel graphics. Just wondering if it could be a graphics card issue of some sort. Also, I have compositing enabled and wondered if that might even have something to do with it...

Edit: I just tested Konqueror with an extracted file and I could see it immediately, so this issue is specific to Dolphin.
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

I use an Nvidia 8600 gs for the record.....
and i've seen this bug with effects turned on, and off......

Could possibly be a dolphin bug... but then again... I don't have the same problem in Opensuse 11.2..
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Could possibly be a dolphin bug... but then again... I don't have the same problem in Opensuse 11.2..
It is Dolphin related, probably something in a Kubuntu package build. OpenSuse is using KDE 4.3.1 by default, Kubuntu is using 4.3.2. Something may have changed between the two versions too.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

xploder : I've been using Kubuntu since it was released, but would like to hear your thoughts on what you think is the best KDE distro out there at the moment. Still testing OpenSuse?
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

Opensuse 11.2 hands down in my opinion..........
Mandriva 2010 2nd place.......
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

xploder : I've been using Kubuntu since it was released, but would like to hear your thoughts on what you think is the best KDE distro out there at the moment. Still testing OpenSuse?
It would be a tough call to make right now. Kubuntu is quick and Debian packaging seems to handle dependencies better. OpenSuse has a better boot experience, better artwork out of the box and it is almost as fast as Kubuntu. They both have their good and bad points and OpenSuse is not a final release yet. OpenSuse has a more professional look and feel and the system tools are well built. Kubuntu is a lot easier to get multimedia going though and there is artwork out there that makes it look as good as OpenSuse once it is installed. I think they are both really good releases and I would have to try the final release of OpenSuse before trying to decide which one is better. :)
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

kaddy wrote:Opensuse 11.2 hands down in my opinion..........
Mandriva 2010 2nd place.......
I agree with this completely.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I cannot for the life of me get this to install in Virtual Box. The display is so distorted that I can't go through the install process. I've tried safe mode or whatever Kubuntu calls it but that does not resolve the issue. I just installed Mint7 XFCE into that same blank virtual machine and it installs fine. I must be missing some VBox setting necessary for Kubuntu.

Has anyone else experienced any difficulties installing in VBox?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dequire

Post by dequire »

exploder wrote:It would be a tough call to make right now. Kubuntu is quick and Debian packaging seems to handle dependencies better. OpenSuse has a better boot experience, better artwork out of the box and it is almost as fast as Kubuntu. They both have their good and bad points and OpenSuse is not a final release yet. OpenSuse has a more professional look and feel and the system tools are well built. Kubuntu is a lot easier to get multimedia going though and there is artwork out there that makes it look as good as OpenSuse once it is installed. I think they are both really good releases and I would have to try the final release of OpenSuse before trying to decide which one is better. :)
exploder - Maybe we, who have a somewhat vested interest in MInt KDE CE, should join the new Kubuntu Project Timelord.
Through intense self-reflection, it has come to the attention of several Kubuntu developers that Kubuntu is not currently reaching its full potential. Whether due to major architectural changes in the software stack, the usage of certain Ubuntu technologies or limited developer time, we have realized that deep changes must occur. In order to fix this situation will do all in our power to make sure Kubuntu stands the test of time.
I am very interested in this, and am considering joining. Looks like potentially exactly what the proverbial doc ordered. Thoughts?
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

holey crap... I didn't realise that the Kubuntu devs actually had that much interest in Making Kubuntu BETTER..... This can be a good thing....
I think im actually excited :D
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Kubuntu Karmic is still running smootly and fine on my system. I like the sleek and minimal artwork (vanilla KDE) very much and it gives certainly a professional look. Only one minor glitch: when switching the computer off one can hear a loud 'click' through the loudspeakers. Sometimes too when starting a multimedia-task...first a loud 'click' and then the program starts without any problems. Strange. Perhaps taking something in account when developing Mint 8 KDE. Brrr...the soundsystem again...
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I just discovered something that helped my system totally by accident! I have had Kubuntu 9.10 running for a week or two because our KDE edition will be based on it. Every once in a while when I boot up my monitor will go out of range and I have to manually turn off the computer and start back up to get Kubuntu to finish loading. Also, I had a black screen after the xsplash before the KDE splash loaded, I thought all along it took too long and I was right.

I installed all of the proposed packages because the out of range thing was bugging me, now there is no wait or black screen between the xsplash and KDE splash. Previously I had installed the newer xorg packages from the proposed repo to fix issues I was having with Firefox, (sluggish random behaviour and occasional freezes). I will have to run the system for a few days to see if there are any unwanted side effects but so far I am real happy with the change. I love it when things just work out like this! :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I found some underlying problems with Kubuntu 9.10. The Intel issue is not completely resolved for me. I can fix the issue with updates from the proposed repo but I have to wonder if a future update will break things. The problems I found are, Firefox will slow to a crawl and freeze up the system at random and randomly I get and out of range errors on my monitor. Both of these issues require a hard reboot and this is unacceptable. Part of the solution is installing the newer kernel from the proposed repo but the kernel headers show up in auto removable in Synaptic.... I will just have to wait and see how updates are applied to see if there is a solid resolution for this. As things stand right now, my system would be unreliable.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Exploder wrote: Part of the solution is installing the newer kernel from the proposed repo but the kernel headers show up in auto removable in Synaptic.... I will just have to wait and see how updates are applied to see if there is a solid resolution for this.
Does it means the generic-kernel is not good enough for using it as a base for the upcoming Mint 8 KDE? Could it be a problem for the Gnome-version too? I don't see why the bug would be dependant on the windowmanager which is installed. KDE in our case...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

midas, the bug seems to effect 9.10 in general, I see the same problems in Ubuntu. The good thing is the a newer kernel is in proposed, so there should end up being a very easy solution for this. I had my graphics working perfectly, I am just not sure what happened with the kernel headers.... I would guess by the much higher version number that the kernel has had a lot of patches applied to it. :)
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

OK...always good news that the Mint KDE - edition is released a bit later. Perhaps because of this always the most stable Mint-edition available. Anyway, I am very much looking forward to it :wink:
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Today I received quite a huge update which included a kernel-update. I hope it is ironing out some glitches...both for Ubuntu and Kubuntu and the base for LinuxMint 8 ofcourse.

Return to “Chat about Linux”