Watch the Obama Official Inauguration with Moonlight

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Watch the Obama Official Inauguration with Moonlight

Post by Husse »

In a rush the Moonlight plugin for Firefox has been developed and ready for use so it is possible to watch the Inauguration on Linux
Look here
http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Jan-20.html
I thought I'd share this
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Watch the Obama Official Inauguration with Moonlight

Post by rdonnelly »

Husse wrote:In a rush the Moonlight plugin for Firefox has been developed and ready for use so it is possible to watch the Inauguration on Linux
Look here
http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Jan-20.html
I thought I'd share this
No thank you, that guys going to cost us a zillion dollars by the time he is done. But is this moonlight useful for other things?
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please no political comments in the forum
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

OK, I agree, but is there something non political we can watch with this Moonlight?
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
Husse

Post by Husse »

Moonlight is a technique for the web, just like flash, nothing more
It was however interesting that the Linux counterpart to Microsoft Silverlight became available so fast that it was ready in time for the inauguration
wtbennington

Post by wtbennington »

Why would you promote a political event with the cover of a software but then post no political feedback?
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

In defense of Husse, our moderator, he was not making or promoting a political post, event or debate. He was merely telling the users about "moonlight" and how they could demo and test the app if they so choose, which is well within the scope of this Linux help forum.
:)
Husse

Post by Husse »

wtbennington wrote:Why would you promote a political event with the cover of a software but then post no political feedback?
Why would you join a forum just to post this comment?
When I write this wtbennington has one and only one post in the forum :?
wtbennington

Post by wtbennington »

Husse wrote:
wtbennington wrote:Why would you promote a political event with the cover of a software but then post no political feedback?
Why would you join a forum just to post this comment?
When I write this wtbennington has one and only one post in the forum :?
Why is this my only post to this forum?

First, I am new to using Linux,and just joined several forums.
Second, I have just started posting to some other forums as well as I have been trying some other distros. Feel free to check on the Kubuntu and KDE forums as well.
Third, I just Joined the forum and at that time I did not have any particular questions regarding Linux to post or they were posted on other forums at the time.
Fourth, I did post ( September 23rd, 2009 at 5:06 am )a comment and a suggestion at the Mint Blog regarding the Mint Install program.
Fifth, I did not join the forum just to post a comment on this issue, I joined because I do plan on getting more involved in Linux Mint, as It is the only distro that I have used that makes me want to switch from M$.
Sixth, You still did not answer my question. While Slider attempted to defend you, the point is that there is, were, and are a million other things out there that you could watch using Moonlight, so why not suggest them?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry if I offended you
million other things out there that you could watch using Moonlight, so why not suggest them?
Sure but you have to know a bit more - Moonlight was rushed to the Linux community and was ready the day before or the same day as the inauguration which undoubtedly was a major news event - that's the reason for this post
Had Moonlight been out for months nothing would have been posted about it, this post was a service to the Mint community to tell them they could watch it on Mint
wtbennington

Post by wtbennington »

Husse,

Thanks for your reply. I guess my view of it is this. To me this spoke of a political ad more than an advertisement of the software. While we all have differing political opinions and I think that when it comes to posting those types of things when it comes to projects that it can be very divisive and hurt the project.

Saying that I want to say that I love what you guys have done with Mint (KDE), it is the main thing that made me fully switch from Windows to Linux. There are many more improvements i would love to see and look forward to what you are doing in the future.

I hope you don't mind if I post some of my thoughts on here...

I love the new uninstall option coming up in the programs and would love to see the Featured programs option built upon as well.
I really wish there was a 64 bit KDE option as I am not able to use my extra 2GB of RAM I have
It would be nice to have a hardware manager so that you can look at all the drivers and adjust as needed
I wish that the primary desktop was KDE instead of Gnome

Anyway those are a few quick thoughts but mostly I would like to definitely say thanks for all the hard work you do for this project I think you guys are doing a great job!
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Where IS 'moonlight'?
I have searched in the repo, but no.
And moonlight 2 bèta does not work yet?
What if sites go only for moonlight? Or am I too pessimistic? :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

What if sites go only for moonlight? Or am I too pessimistic? :D
You aren't missing anything. :D
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

That's a relief..! :D
Can you explain? Moonlight does not work here.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”