For those souls who miss KDE3...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dequire

For those souls who miss KDE3...

Post by dequire »

If you are one of those people who yearn for the "good 'ole" days of KDE3 (I am not, but understand there are those that are), this distribution might be worth checking into.

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 212331402a

KDE3 continues to get some love.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: For those souls who miss KDE3...

Post by lagagnon »

VectorLinux is also going to have a distro maintaining KDE3, primarily because VL is designed for lower end computers ( http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10749.0 ). A KDE4 distro requires 550MB just to boot into a blank desktop with a terminal open, while KDE3 requires about 290MB. Big difference on older hardware!
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

PCLinuxOS still uses KDE3 and KDE3 is an option in openSUSE 11.1
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Both PCLOS and SUSE are due to drop 3.5 from my understanding.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Yes but openSUSE will be supported until 12/31/2010

Don't know about PCLinuxOs
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

I liked 3.5 alot too, but sticking with it at this point is like driving a semi at a 100mph towards the edge of a cliff,might as well jump off now and dust yourself off. The ships sinking and there's two choices now, :lol: , well enough being dramactic.

I tried 4 and it's OK, but i have nothing against the "typical" style of computer DE (Kickers and quick links).Moved over to Gnome styled it how I like and got back to computing. Interesting to notice how many users when they're done customizing KDE4 end up with a KDE3 style format, just don't know if the world's really ready for a huge change in how to interact with the DE.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

MaddogF16 wrote:Interesting to notice how many users when they're done customizing KDE4 end up with a KDE3 style format, just don't know if the world's really ready for a huge change in how to interact with the DE.
I've noticed that myself with KDE4 users. Have you looked at the screenshots of Gome3? I don't know..... Am I the only one who thinks that these developers ultimate goal is to have a DE that resembles the iPhone?
Last edited by altair4 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Yeah the idea seems to be to throw access to as many apps as possible onto the DE, like a quick link only in a prettier button style look. This may be a super interface for a touchscreen based OS, but for most it may be too intrusive.
I'll say this though I like the potential look and function of Gnome 3 more so than KDE 4 and that's why i decided to make the switch now to a good solid Gnome OS. I know everyone has their favs, but I chose Mint because the thing I hate most is updates that break things, I really like the numbering system so individuals can choose their update "comfort" level.

Mint works great, does everything I need it to do then gets out of my way, I know how to fix most things but don't really care to if it can be avoided.

Return to “Chat about Linux”