Ubuntu 9.10 installed and running well

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AK Dave

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 installed and running well

Post by AK Dave »

My laptop and netbook both run Karmic now. No regrets.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

From livecd ran it on all 4 PC's in the house, the 32 bit ran fine everywhere, the 64 bit choked on Dell 531s w/ati card but ran fine on the Acer Aspire laptop. Not bad, very impressed and looking forward to Mint 8.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I installed Ubuntu 9.04 a few weeks ago from a free CD I got in Linux Format magazine. I started upgrading it to Karmic 9.10 at Alpha 2.
I did all the Alphas, then upgraded to Beta and the RC, finally to the Final Release. There were glitches in the Daily Builds, especially the closer I got to the RC of Karmic. But nothing major; small annoyances. Everything seemed to get worked out in the Release Candidate on the last week before 9.10 was released as Final. I have been using Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 off-and-on with no problems, at all.

I have been changing things and customizing the heck out of it. It seems to be a well thought out and put together Distro. The many Ubuntu Devs did a good job. Although, supposedly, it is the fore-runner for Ubuntu's Lucid Lynx 10.04 which will be the new Ubuntu LTS distro, this coming May 2010.

Because of my love of the Xfce interface, I also, downloaded Xubuntu 9.10 via Torrent a few days after it's Final release. Again, a nice distro with no problems that I can see.

I'm looking forward to see what the Mint Devs will do with Karmic 9.10 and the improvements they will make in evolving the next Mint-8. I trust Clem and the Mint Team to do a great job in making Helena-8 a great distro. I want to try-out both LinuxMint-8 (gnome) and LinuxMint-8 Xfce CE when it becomes available.

:mrgreen: I'm a hard-core LinuxMint Addict. :mrgreen:
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Colonel Schell:

I agree with your comments, although, I never hated Ubuntu. But, was initially put-off by it being the "most popular Linux distro in the world"
If it was that popular and easy; how could Ubuntu be a true Linux OS? I came to with preconceived misconceptions about a Linux OS.
I did install Ubuntu, as my first Linux OS, because it was considered to be very user-friendly. I still like it, even as, Karmic 9.10

In regards to you other point: The possibility of someday trying a Slackware distro.

I have found there to be a few, a very few Main Linux Systems. (ie: Debian, Slackware, Fedora, Gentoo, Arch and BSD) Considering the amount of Linux OS's available, (over 600) this is a few.

My point being, I have found from perusing the various Linux Forums that people generally, stay with the Main Linux System that they started with. For example, LinuxMint is based on Ubuntu which is based off of Debian. So, we tend to stay with a Debian-based distro since it is a system we know. I am working with a Debian Squeeze (testing) Xfce for the advantage of experiencing a Rolling Release distro. If I could adapt my Xubuntu or LinuxMint to a Rolling Release, I would.

Would I change to another Linux system entirely? IDK? LinuxMint/Ubuntu/Debian work!!
People are often put off by change and the learning curve necessary.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

With Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 64- and 32-bit, I have only had a few oddities. The sound popping on certain Intel audio cards was fixed by changing one number in a file. The fonts in Firefox were fixed by a small .fonts.config file that works system-wide. Those were annoyances that were easily fixed by reading the forum.

I am still scratching my head at the spell checker in Empathy, but that is not a deal-breaker. Empathy still has a few rough spots, but it sure does have massive potential.

Ubuntu One is extremely handy. I have already synchronized important files, Evolution contacts, and Tomboy Notes. If your needs are minimal, the free 2 GBs of storage should work fine.

I am looking forward to Mint 8.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
lexon

Post by lexon »

I just installed 9.10 in the desktop that I use for Mint 7 and it is ok. I use removable drives for different operating systems. Could not play a commercial DVD in Movie Player but I expected that. I just downloaded VLC.
Wireless works just fine.
Wish Firefox 3.5 had the option to not use third party cookies.
I will stick with Mint though. I do not like the "brown" coloring besides I would rather support Mint.
I do not use the “Cloud”. Google tracks you and keeps records.
I usually search with Scroogle. I see Google really working on getting information on everyone.
Most users are completely ignorant of what Google is doing.

lex
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

@lexon - I just checked my Firefox 3.5.4 and it does have the checkbox option for third-party cookies. Look to see if you have a drop-down menu in the Privacy section where you can choose "Use custom settings for history." That gives me the options I have used in previous versions.

Also, if you check in Synaptic, you may find that "libdvdcss2" may not be installed. My commercial DVDs play just fine with Totem. I had to add libdvdcss2 and the w64codecs in manually since they do not come as part of the Ubuntu Restricted Extras metapackage. By the way, I do not install the metapackage, but I install what I want individually. I have no use for the Microsoft fonts, and I like to install the 64-bit version of Flash instead of the wrapped version in the repositories. I use the IcedTea/OpenJDK plugin instead of the Sun-Java6 ones, too. That choice depends on your needs. Overall, Karmic is running great for me.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

@lexon

I will paraphrase what a ubuntu forums member said:

"People have an over inflated sense of their own importance"

Sure, google keeps tabs, but this is mostly browsing habits that they can use to throw targeted advertising at you. I very much doubt they keep info like your real name and address, or if they do, I doubt they do much with it. As for things like credit card details, unless you are required to take them (i.e. a shopping site) then I believe it is illegal to obtain them.

Cut short, most people are much less important than they think they are, and it's phishing scams that will screw them, not Silicon Valley.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Old Marcus wrote:@lexon

I will paraphrase what a ubuntu forums member said:

"People have an over inflated sense of their own importance"

Sure, google keeps tabs, but this is mostly browsing habits that they can use to throw targeted advertising at you. I very much doubt they keep info like your real name and address, or if they do, I doubt they do much with it. As for things like credit card details, unless you are required to take them (i.e. a shopping site) then I believe it is illegal to obtain them.

Cut short, most people are much less important than they think they are, and it's phishing scams that will screw them, not Silicon Valley.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I wanted to feel important I would be all over this forum and telling everyone that they can see my house on Google maps.
I like my privacy.

The Google truck has been down the streets in my town about two to three years ago. On Google maps I can see my house as if I was standing in the middle of the street, plus the homes of all my neighbor's. I can see my vehicle in the driveway and read the license plate numbers.

Microsoft, Google, same eanimal. I left Microsoft for security. Very difficult to do with Google. Google wants more than Microsoft and Mint has sold out to Google. I will probably have to start looking for another Linux OS though that may be difficult. It seems Google is trying to get everyone.

lex
Losgann

Post by Losgann »

lexon wrote: Mint has sold out to Google.
Er, how exactly has Linux Mint "sold out to Google"?
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

If we did not have companies like Google selling advertising, the Internet would cost considerably more money than it does now. You would get the bill. At least with targeted advertising, you don't have to be saturated with products that are of little interest to you.

Google just scans your email for words. Try this. Write to several of your friends that you are shopping for a new automobile, but you have absolutely no intention of ever considering a crappy Toyota or a junkie Buick. Sure enough, Google will note "new automobile" and "Toyota" and "Buick", and you will be presented with ads for both of them! Never mind that you have no intention of buying crappy and junkie cars! :) Google bills Toyota and Buick for the hits.

PS. This was just an example. I don't consider Toyota or Buick crappy or junkie!
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

lexon wrote:The Google truck has been down the streets in my town about two to three years ago. On Google maps I can see my house as if I was standing in the middle of the street, plus the homes of all my neighbor's. I can see my vehicle in the driveway and read the license plate numbers.
Do you also use this connection for scroogle.. https://ssl.scroogle.org/

Unlike loyalty cards for stores, Google is a giant loyalty card for everyone (who uses Google) for anything they use (it for).
http://webanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/09 ... ivacy.html
  • Tracking Personally Identifiable Data
    In simple terms Personally Identifiable Information (PII) can identify a particular user, example last name, first name, email address etc. Most of the commercial Web Analytics Tools have the capability to track Personally Identifiable Information
http://seclists.org/interesting-people/2006/Dec/22
  • The tendency in most organizations is to hold onto whatever data they collect on the assumption that it might be useful down the line (for R&D, legal protection, or other reasons). After the data has been gathered (and storing data is cheap these days) it becomes available for potential internal and/or external abuses unless specific steps (time-based deletion, anonymization, cryptographic reduction, and so on) are employed that limit the abuse potential.
Cell phone data..
I wonder what will happen if Google Android takes off

Their data is humongous and growing: they will never throw any away, since they don't know when some parts of it might be useful to them or their customers (advertisers)
http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/
http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/d ... Guide.html
  • With the Google Analytics Data Export API, you can develop client applications to request data from an existing Analytics profile for an authorized user, and refine the results of the request using query parameters
http://www.labnol.org/internet/track-ad ... tics/4295/
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Googleearth.html

Now about Karmic Koala (Ubuntu 9.10)
I am sure it will be OK, when Mint fixes it..
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

they say this search engine dosnt collect any personal info:

in short:

http://www.startpage.com/

:shock:
Last edited by ibm450 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
bobd13045

Post by bobd13045 »

I had Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 working well on my Dell Mini 9. When I went to 9.10, I couldn't get my wireless network connection to work. I liked 9.10. It's too bad I had trouble with my wireless connection. Right now I'm running my the original 8.04 that came with my Dell Mini 9.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

I too have installed Ubuntu 9.10 to see what the improvements Mint 8 might be.

I'm using a Samsung R519 LapTop with XP on the first partition and UB9.10 on the second. Dual boot works well, either UB9.10 or XP boots first time after selecting them rather than the frequent 2-3 attempts for either when using Mint 7. I still cannot adjust the screen brightness after selecting UB9.10 [same with Mint 7] and cannot turn off the wireless when I don't want it. From time to time a window opens on the screen asking for details to connect to my local LAN using the wireless - bit of a pain. Mint 7 would not recognise the internal wireless at all. I also note that the mic works for Skype now unlike Mint 7 where it wouldn't. Otherwise I'm quite favourably impressed with UB9.10 and suspect I will be even more so with Mint 8 when it arrives.
Griz.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I too installed Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix on a Dell mini 9.
When the theme and background is changed to get away from the overall "brownness" its a nice-looking distro.
One major snag though-couldn't get wireless to work.
I tried connecting via a wired connection with the intention of swapping network manager for wicd to see if that would fix it,unfortunately network manager failed there too,and I was unable to connect.
At that point I decided to go with my favourite distro and put Mint 7 on instead.
It works perfectly.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Another much needed 'Tweak" is to the program Brasero Disk Burner. It doesn't eject the disc when the burn is completed and gets confused when an extra copy is required. The mint version in Gloria is MUCH more civilised. Hope the guys just graft that version over to Helena.

G.
dequire

Post by dequire »

Colonel Schell wrote:Actually, since I fixed the problem with Karmic and the disappearing fonts in OpenOffice.org, the problem reappeared, and after a careful search of the Ubuntu forum, I haven't turned up that anyone has experienced this same problem.

So I uninstalled Karmic from that partition, because I am rather unable to deal with it right now. This is the first time I've been able to sit up for this long for many days, but it seems I will have to take a break from the computer and the 'net for a while while I recover from whatever this is.

See ya 'round, folks.
Best of luck on your recovery, Colonel.
fearless1012

Post by fearless1012 »

Mint has sold out to Google. I will probably have to start looking for another Linux OS though that may be difficult. It seems Google is trying to get everyone.

lex[/quote]

Lex, Google pays a lot of money and has become the monopoly from the help of Microsoft, Apple, and nearly all of the Linux World. But all you have to do is keep using Mint because you and I know Mint is the best. As far as what to do about Google, make a new home page of your personal choosing. Take Google out of your search bar. There's so many great search engines you can trust, "Ask.com" "Bing" "Yahoo" just to name a few. Make one of those your regular search. You are empowered to stay away from Google. Although it is a challenge to endure a non-google world. Google embeds You Tube videos at so many external sites. They also have partners that report tracking data back to Google. So Lex, even if you supposedly found a new Linux Distro "Non-Google", then that would be an oxy-moron because Google could track some of the data you do. The point is, you can be in control just like with Linux.

On the original subject of Karmic Koala - I still have some issues getting the wireless to work. It worked beautifully in Jaunty.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Can anyone tell me how I can exchange the Mint 8 version of Brasero with the Mint 7 version please?
The Mint 8 version has too many bugs and is NOT reliable. The Mint 7 version works flawlessly ALL the time.
Ubuntu 9.10 version of Brasero is broken too.

Is there a folder/directory in Mint 7 that I can use to replace the Mint 8 Brasero software?

Thanks,

G.

Return to “Chat about Linux”