Problems with shutdown in KDE

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

I'm having this exact same problem with my Lenovo N100 laptop. Is there anyway to change the command that the shutdown button in kde uses?

Also, if it is a graphics driver issue would switching from i810 to the new intel driver possibly fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Topic split
Please start a new post instead of adding yourselft to a post that's almost a month old
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't know much about KDE specifics so there I have no answer. But changing the driver is probably a good idea anyhow.
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

I'm sorry, I didn't realize how old it was.

Anyways, I solved the problem! My theory was correct. I installed the "xserver-xorg-video-intel" package with Synaptic. Then I edited xorg.conf and changed the video driver to "intel". Rebooted, and shutdown and restart functions all now work flawlessly!

By the way my machine is a Lenovo 3000 N100 14.1" screen with the intel gma950 integrated graphics. Hopefully this helps others experiencing the same problems.
Husse

Post by Husse »

what happens if you use
shutdown -r now
in a terminal?
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

I am having problems, too: I don't remember having problems on my laptop, but I am having problems on my desktop. It looks like everything has shutdown, but the fan and lights on the box remain on. I have to hit the reset button then the power button once the bios bootsplash appears. I have a fresh install of the mini cd and did an upgrade, but that's it.

john

EDIT
I just found a thread with a similar problem. The author also has an ati card in his desktop. His solution was to edit a file. When next I boot that machine, I will follow the instructions, and of course, report back.

Return to “Other topics”