Problem after upgrade ...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Hi! I've just discovered Linux Mint and downloaded and installed it earlier today. My first impression? Could be deserting open Suse 10.2, especially when the KDE version is released :-)

However, I applied the upgrades suggested and now when I launch Firefox I get the error message:

File not found:
/usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/index.html

Can someone point me in the right direction to solve this missing file. I have looked in my Home directory but 'tisn't there.

Regards from New Zealand on a very cool Sunday evening.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Problem after upgrade ...

Post by scorp123 »

tenfoot wrote: Could be deserting open Suse 10.2, especially when the KDE version is released :-)
Dito. OpenSUSE 10.2 would give me kernel panics on a laptop ... so it was time for "bye bye". Cassandra is running tip top on the same laptop :D ... And I installed KDE via Synaptic and now I'm quite happy :D
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Problem after upgrade

Post by tenfoot »

D1Wayne wrote:simplest way
copy this link

Code: Select all

file:///usr/share/linuxmint/releasenotes/cassandra.html
in firefox click on edit and paste link into home page
Did that. Returned same error.

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at /usr/share/linuxmint/releasenotes/cassandra.html.

* Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.

* Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

If I go into a terminal and cd /usr/share/linuxmint the directory is displayed. If I then do ls I get releasenotes. but tagging that on to the original cd returns
No such file or directory.

I really only want the original display 'cos I found it so convenient for entry to all that is Linux Mint.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Problem after upgrade

Post by tenfoot »

D1Wayne wrote:it gave me an error when I pasted in the address bar, but liked it a home page
I went to Edit as you suggested and did a copy and paste to Home Page writable icon. Closed Firefox and then reopened it. That is when I got the original error again. So, I must be doing somethig incorrect. But what? :-(
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Try this one:

Code: Select all

file:///usr/share/linuxmint/releasenotes/index.html
That's what it is in my system.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Interesting... are you running Cassandra final, or beta?
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Problem after upgrade

Post by tenfoot »

D1Wayne wrote:try manually typing it in, perhaps the is some funky white-space at the end or some foreign-language keyboard issue.
I believe I was at a swedish to english tanslation page earlier and I click on nordic keyboard.

though I just did a cut and past from the website and it worked

let me know

if so i'll update that line
Nope! Still the same error.

To recap:

Typed in the various urls suggested. All return the same error.

Cut and paste as above. All return the same error.

Typed in for Home page. All return the same error.

Cut and paste to Home page. All return the same error.

After initial installation of Cassandra all worked well. It was only after applying the upgrades that the error occurred.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Just tried
and I get the right page....
and I have Ff version 2.0.0.4 Mint
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Try and have a look in the specified folder and see what files are there. If it worked before the updates the file should still be there.

I'm running Cassandra final and it uses the "index" file. I'm guessing beta used the "cassandra" file. Not sure why you can't find either though? :?
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Thank you to all who took an interest in my problem and made useful suggestions.

In the end I did a complete reinstall of Cassandra and applied the upgrades. Got the same error as before but when I pasted

as suggested all was well and I got what I expected. So, now I'm a very happy bunny :-)
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

D1Wayne wrote:just out of curiosity

did you have multiple tabs open when you tried the cut and paste?
No. Still don't know why it didn't work on the first occasion.
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kosmonaut »

Hey!

I have installed cassandra beta 0,14 and I updated my stystem to the final release. Like tenfoot I don't have /usr/share/linuxmint/releasenotes/index.html too.
I have got /usr/share/linuxmint/releasenotes/cassandra.html , but this is not the flash version that I have on my liveCD of cassandra final.
An other minor thing is: I don't have the new gnome cassandra splash screen, it is still the "old" one, that looks different to the final splash....
Any ideas on those buggies.

K.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

yes they might not have been included until the final and were missed via the update method.
in the end they are only a webpage and an image.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Other topics”