Need more space for MINT

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: Need more space for MINT

Post by lagagnon »

You have to run gparted from a Live CD, so that the partitions you are changing are not mounted. But first of all make sure you clean up your XP partition (temp files, caches, unused software) and then defrag. You should also backup important docs. Then run a Live Linux CD and gparted and reduce the WinXP partition size and then increase the Mint / partition.

And I don't know of better software than gparted. You might also want to read the gparted documentation before you start.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Did you read the gparted manual as I suggested? http://gparted.sourceforge.net/docs/hel ... on-actions
mick55

Post by mick55 »

hi s_beaudry

Post a screenshot of your partitions as shown in gparted
and i will give you detailed instructions on what to do.

Without a screenshot my instructions might be difficult
to comprehend.

cheers
mick
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

My Mint root partition is 6 GB , swap partition is 1 GB. I also use a very large data partton formatted ext3 which is mounted on /home .
My root partition has never used more than a little over 4 GB for all the system files and all the application installs.
I don't see why you would need more than six GB for Mint root partition.

Return to “Beginner Questions”