ATI HD4850

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stealing_Lillies

Re: ATI HD4850

Post by Stealing_Lillies »

Just a thought, The HD4850 requires an extra power source. Did you make sure to plug the power supply to vid card with the 6 pin power connector? Also, it could be that your power supply is not capable of handing the 4850 as well. I think on average, a person would need a 550W+ PSU to handle a 4850.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Stealing_Lillies

Aww, I was hopping it would be something simple for ya to fix. There are a lot of smart people that visit this forum so maybe someone will come up with another idea for you.
Stealing_Lillies

What is the specs of your PSU and monitor?
KES
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KES »

does this card are supported at Linux Mint 15?
T3(h_Fr34k

Post by T3(h_Fr34k »

KES wrote:does this card are supported at Linux Mint 15?
Yes they should, look in synaptic

Catalist was updated 5/29/2013, Have you tried these

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Holy cow, thanks a ton for the link. My initial poke around amd.com missed that updated version!

And thanks OP for the thread - my exact card & situation as well!
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

KES wrote:does this card are supported at Linux Mint 15?
Basically -- NO.

AMD dropped restricted driver support for the HD 2x/3x/4x series cards last summer. Mint 14 and beyond (AFAIK) use the NEW X-server version that is incompatible with the older restricted drivers that used to work. The newer drivers simply will not work with these older cards.

To work with Mint 15, you will need to modify the boot parms to include "xforcevesa" -- which will force software rendering.

IF you don't do that, you won't even get to a working desktop -- as Mint 15 presumes you have the working hardware accelerated drivers, which you do not.

I found this out the hard way as I spend hours trying to boot Mint using the HD 4290 that I have.
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Well, just an update of what I've uncovered;

I was initially excited about what I learned in this thread, with that updated version. Turns out that doesn't work, for the reasons stated above (support was nuked.)

Where install hangs up (copy of install log):
Check if system has the tools required for installation.
fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers. /lib/modules/3.8.0-23-generic/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver.
Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.
So I tried a suggestion I found that said to;
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
but that didn't change a thing.

Since I've been at work today, I've come across this suggestion. Will be trying it when I get home. It seems to get to the root of the real problem (downgrading the x-server) but I'm still unsure where Mint 15 falls in with the Quantal vs Raring instructions. Will have to clarify that.
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Mark Phelps wrote:To work with Mint 15, you will need to modify the boot parms to include "xforcevesa" -- which will force software rendering.
is there a downside to this?
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

wheeledgoat wrote:
Mark Phelps wrote:To work with Mint 15, you will need to modify the boot parms to include "xforcevesa" -- which will force software rendering.
is there a downside to this?
Yes ... "force software rendering" means that if you plan on doing stuff like 3D gaming that require hardware acceleration, you won't get it and the frame rate will be so slow as to be useless.

For typical 2D desktop work, you won't notice any difference in performance -- it will work just fine.

Return to “Hardware Support”