Should I wait?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wrender

Should I wait?

Post by wrender »

My mom's computer is all crapped up with windows xp and I had enough of it. So I planned to install linux on there.

I am trying to figure out whether I should just install kubuntu 9.10 or wait a little bit for Linux Mint KDE 8.

Cheers,

~Wren

ps. Is there a ball park guess to when they are aiming to release Mint KDE 8? say December , January?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deleted

Re: Should I wait?

Post by deleted »

It all depends on what you want to do (and which platform)
In the x64 area, Mint only comes in Gnome and you install KDE (it looks like you want KDE from your post)
Also, in the x64 area, and (at least) AMD Phenomx4, I needed the 2.6.27 kernel or greater due to (I think) cpu frequencies although I think NVIDIA benefited there, too.

If you have a dual core, you should be fine.

What I did on my Phenom x4 pc, was install Mint 7, change jaunty to karmic in /etc/apt/sources.list and did a
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.

I now have Mint 7 built on top of Karmic. Granted, this is Gnome, but I can install KDE. Also the KDE Mint is 32 bit only AFAIK.
I'd expect Mint 8 to have a similar upgrade path (as I look in to the past Mint releases) for it Mint additions to Karmic.

Hope this helps with your decision.

-H
wrender

Post by wrender »

32 bit is fine for her system....
wrender

Post by wrender »

So is there a guess ... shot in the dark of the aim to release kde mint 8? January maybe? Im just trying to guess what I should do/tell my family member. :roll:
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

wrender wrote:So is there a guess ... shot in the dark of the aim to release kde mint 8?
"When it's ready" is the usual answer for that question.
deleted

Post by deleted »

There's really no need to wait as long as there is
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

You can install Mint 7 (The 32 bit KDE Version since you want the 32 bits) and when Mint 8 is ready, you can upgrade
to that. There are usually directions on how to perform the upgrade on the Mint website.

-H
AfterEight

Post by AfterEight »

wrender wrote:So is there a guess ... shot in the dark of the aim to release kde mint 8? January maybe? Im just trying to guess what I should do/tell my family member. :roll:
Hi wrender,

The RC1 of Linux Mint 8 has just been uploaded here . . . http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/

The KDE version is usually released a few weeks after the stable version has been upped.
Hope this helps.

AfterEight
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

AfterEight wrote:The RC1 of Linux Mint 8 has just been uploaded here . . . http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/

AfterEight
GRAB!

MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
wrender

Post by wrender »

Thanks! I'll have to check it out tonight...
stalonge

Post by stalonge »

Thats great , i test here , and all seems fine .. ( Its very similar to Gloria )

Great job , devs

:D :D

Return to “Software & Applications”