grub issue after various installs, KDE (solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maia

grub issue after various installs, KDE (solved)

Post by maia »

Hello everyone

Forgive me, but my knowledge and vocabulary with Linux is very very limited. I will try to be as clear as possible when describing my problem... so please bear with me, I really want to get Mint to work on my system :)

I am a returning "Trying it Out" user that is having a lot more problems this time around than the first time I tried Linux Mint back when 3.0 was out. I also NEED to keep my installation of winXP, but I won't waste your time with my reasons.

The installation runs well but my problem is with GRUB. I have installed the O/S various times and get different issues with GRUB. Here is a list of some of them;
- never shows up... goes straight to my winXP O/S. (when installed to sdc)
- stalls and just says the word - GRUB (when installed to sdb)
- gets to a point that it just fills my screen with the word GRUB. (also when installed to sdb)

I have even tried to install GRUB to a floppy (fd0) but Mint won't allow it, it gives me an error at the end of the installation when I tried to do this. This was something that I did in version 3.0 and it worked like a charm, whenever I wanted to boot to Mint, I would just insert the floppy and pick my O/S. I don't know why this option is not available anymore considering that it eliminated the "FEAR" of messing with the MBR... which I thought I had lost until I found out how to recover it using a win98 floppy.

Please, any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? It seems like a really eye catching distro that I would love to experiment with... because there is only so much you can do on the live cd.

Thanks in advance and I am really sorry for the loooong post :)

m
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: grub issue after various installs, KDE

Post by Jay514 »

This may help:

Super Grub Boot Disk , download the .iso image from here : http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Burn the image to a cd disk & boot from it.

The menu is extensive , & will allow you to fix problems with the grub boot located on the MBR.

Read all of the menu options & the help files on the disk & Backup your current grub, just in case you mess it up.

Hopefully this will help, I have used it many times for dual & triple boot configs, with great results.

The website has lots of info,
I hope this helps,
Jay514
maia

Post by maia »

Hi Jay

thanks for the reply

I went ahead and tried SuperGrub and everything seemed fine. I selected MBR & !LINUX! auto (no questions asked) and I was presented with a GRUB menu. I thought this was it... it was fixed, but when I went to reboot the computer, I was back with a prompt constantly typing out the word GRUB. I then reinserted the SuperGrub floppy, went to the same selection, MBR & !LINUX!, got the GRUB menu back, proceeded to try my winXP O/S and now get "NTDLR is missing" and no winXP. I rebooted and was again back at the prompt typing the word GRUB hundreds of times. I then proceeded to fix my MBR with the win98 floppy, fdisk/mbr.

I have also just finished installing Mint 3.0 just to get it to install the GRUB menu on a floppy like before. It was working fine until i installed Mint 7... the GRUB floppy then no longer recognized any of the O/S's.

I'll give the CD version a try

m
maia

Post by maia »

Well... I went against the SuperGrub website's recommendation of not to use SG2D... I used it, I figured that I had nothing more to lose. :D

It worked flawlessly.. although not the nicest looking menu, but it worked. When I inserted the floppy version and rebooted, I didn't have to do anything. It found Mint's kernel and just proceeded to boot... and when I restarted and removed the floppy... winXP booted... PERFECT, just like I had Mint 3.0 before. I no longer have to fiddle with the MBR, and that's a great relief.

I would like to say though, I really wish that GRUB was not so complicated, it almost turned me off on giving Linux another whirl...

Thanks for pointing me to SuperGrub Jay, very much appreciated.

M
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

Good to see you got it working, You are correct that the grub has a lot of configs & can be very confusing.
But the super grub disk is the only one I have tried & it has solved some issues on my hardware.

Please do not forget to add ( SOLVED ) to your post header or people may continue to respond, thinking that you still have an issue.

Happy Minting,
Jay514 :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”