New Computer with Linux Mint made for the elderly.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

New Computer with Linux Mint made for the elderly.

Post by solar1951 »

This is no way an "age ist" post.
Announced on the BBC Today programme this morning and also on the BBC website a computer targeted at the elderly who have no knowledge of PC's or are afraid to "have a go"
See website at this link and have a look at the line underneath the title.
http://www.discount-age.co.uk/simplicity_computers/

Excellent job :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New Computer with Linux Mint made for the elderly.

Post by 900i »

Bit pricey, but I suppose they have to make a profit. Wonder if they will be donating to the project. Should see some new forum members over the coming months, at least those who forgo the front end gui and start to poke around under the hood. Or will they be paying for tech support not realising they can come here for free!

Just my 1st thoughts.

Just googled this, seems that it is a Java app running on Linux Mint platform.

http://www.epractice.eu/en/news/284932
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Apparently you can download the OS from here:

http://www.eldy.eu/

From here in the US, "Eldy" sounds like a patronizing or even insulting term to call an older person. Is it acceptable in the UK and EU?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

solar1951 wrote:This is no way an "age ist" post.
Announced on the BBC Today programme this morning and also on the BBC website a computer targeted at the elderly
It might not be discrimination, but it is: it is called ageism, the fixed idea that your age determines your capabilities, and everyone in that group has the same issues (you have identified as being age related)
--sometimes an advantage in getting discounts; but not when diminishing your capabilities and relegating you to the also-rans group(ing).

Other than that, it looks like a stripped down (simplified) OS as would appear on a netbook
--and for seniors that accept that group-think, it will likely work well enough.

For those that don't they can easily do it for themselves, without needing to be targeted

Even some of the books (computers for seniors..like), are almost like the computers for dummies books, and have very similar information in sometimes only slightly different formats: ah well!, if it it works OK, then.
--I know it is a big business the seniors market..
Last edited by DrHu on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

waldo wrote:From here in the US, "Eldy" sounds like a patronizing or even insulting term to call an older person. Is it acceptable in the UK and EU?
This, IMHO, is what currently annoys me to no end about North American culture (and I am one of them) - their highly sensitive, politically correct, inability to really understand irony or to "take a joke" and be a bit self-deprecating. I lived in Argentina for a number of years where obese people are commonly called "gordo" and in Australia where the elderly are called "crumblies" and these are endearments which no one takes seriously or is offended by. I think Americans and Canadians could do well to take heed and not be so sensitive...so the answer is yes, quite probably perfectly acceptable in the UK and the EU.
dequire

Post by dequire »

As an American, I have to agree. +1. And I'm downloading the .iso to try out on my aged and elderly and loveable Grandma. 8)
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

waldo wrote:Is it acceptable in the UK and EU?
Apparently so as it's on the BBC of all stations.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
nukm

Post by nukm »

My guess is it won't fly. How many old guys do you know that want to watch an old gal telling them how to push the buttons? If they spiced up the video instructor a bit, it would be a best seller - with the gents.
lexon

Post by lexon »

This geezer is going to try the OS. I live in the USA and often was called pop or old man at work before retiring four years ago. Never took it seriously. Too busy enjoying life. I would just tell them, "Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"
:D :D

lex
Dean

Post by Dean »

Political correctness in America has gotten ridiculously out of hand. It has gotten to the point to where certain terms will no longer simply be "not politically correct" but deemed as "hate crime speech".

Anyways, I think this is most definitely a worth while project, a little rough around the edges, but its a great concept.
lexon

Post by lexon »

And this option is for the elderly. Yea, right.
Download Eldy 2.1 – tar.gz

http://linuxforelderly.wordpress.com/

I downloaded the first option and it is a .exe file. I might have been born in the dark but it was not yesterday. I don't do Windows.
Download Eldy
Download Eldy 2.1 – WINDOWS – SINGLE USER

lex
dequire

Post by dequire »

lexon wrote:And this option is for the elderly. Yea, right.
Download Eldy 2.1 – tar.gz

http://linuxforelderly.wordpress.com/

I downloaded the first option and it is a .exe file. I might have been born in the dark but it was not yesterday. I don't do Windows.
Download Eldy
Download Eldy 2.1 – WINDOWS – SINGLE USER

lex
There's a Debian / Ubuntu link as well...
http://bit.ly/HxnrF
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Just download the archive and extract it. Inside is a .jar file right click>open with Java runtime environment (or use cli).

The idea behind this type of system is probably quite good but the implementation just isn't good enough.

Good points
  • It's pretty easy to navigate through the system.
  • The web browser seems decent enough. You start out with an Opera-esqe selection of websites you might like to use and it looks like a gecko render engine underneath.
  • The email system looks pretty easy to use.
  • Big quit button to turn it off and just use Mint. (My recommended solution)
Bad points
  • The text editor - called notepad. You see where they got the name. No formatting options at all. Useless. I guess they think everyone will send letters by email while I'd think that many of the people they are trying to target might like to be able to type a decently formatted letter and send it by post.
  • The location of the text editor and file browser launchers. They're in a second "layer" of buttons while a totally useless "profile" option is on the first page.
  • The file browser. Navigation is only by "home", "up" or clicking a subfolder in your current directory. Want a new folder? Tough, you can't make one.
  • Multi-tasking. Click back a few times then "back to the square" when it appears. Email and browser side by side? Not a chance. It's a real pain.
  • It relies heavily on the host OS. Printing and the internet connection are controlled from Mint. These are probably the hardest things to set up and yet they're the things that aren't simplified for the new user and have to be done before Eldy is launched.
  • Eldy TV. Like the web browser but with "TV" sites in the speed dial. Oh, and no back button so once you click one you're stuck. You can click "Back to the square" to start over but it just remembers the page you were on.
Not something I'd recommend. After a short while anyone who uses this is going to come across its shortcomings. It's not really any easier than just using Mint from the start in my eyes. Also the computers that come with this preinstalled seem pretty expensive from the very limited hardware information given.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

I'm sorry some people took my comment as involving political correctness. There is a big difference with being a "politically correct" and being considerate of the perceptions of others. Elderly people, at least among my friends, do not want to be considered feeble and in need of pablum. I think the concept that "Eldy" represents is a great idea. I suggest that for the US market (and probably Canadian) it needs to be renamed, and present a less patronizing approach.

How about "Snap Machine! A real computer for sending mail, sharing photographs, and chatting with friends and family. Skips all the hard stuff you don't want to bother with. No Experience Necessary! It's a Snap!"

Join Snappers! A place on line where Snap! users help other Snap! users, and become friends as they exchange experiences!
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

waldo wrote:There is a big difference with being a "politically correct" and being considerate of the perceptions of others. Elderly people, at least among my friends, do not want to be considered feeble and in need of pablum.
How does providing a nice easy to use Linux interface called Eldy translate to inconsideration or making the elderly feel feeble and in need of pablum??? Please explain as your comment makes no sense to me.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

lagagnon wrote: How does providing a nice easy to use Linux interface called Eldy translate to inconsideration or making the elderly feel feeble and in need of pablum??? Please explain as your comment makes no sense to me.
Look at this site: http://linuxforelderly.wordpress.com/
If you can't see how that singles out and patronizes the elderly, then there is no way I can explain it to you.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

I see absolutely no patronizing at that website. Unless you have a different definition to patronizing than is in a standard English dictionary.
Husse

Post by Husse »

There are elderly and there are elderly
I'm 63 and my wife 69 and we use computers all day :)
This project is for those that have never used a computer, and in our age group that is a large percentage
Unless it's by some kid trying to "be abusive" I don't mind being called "old man" :)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

The assumption that anyone who is over about 50 has no idea how to use a computer and is at least a little frightened of them is patronising,and factually incorrect.
But that doesn't seem to be what is going on here.It looks more like an acknowledgement that a proportion of the population,predominately in the over-50 age group,is in danger of missing out on the benefits of technology.
Eldy seems to be one way to address that,providing a simplified way to access the internet,email,messaging,social networks etc.
It's not perfect and whilst it will be useful for some people it will not suit others(just like any linux distro really)
nukm

Post by nukm »

Eldy is patronizing in the first good sense, that is it is beneficent. The OS is free and if the old geezers want a box, I suppose it is priced ok considering that 15% of the price is VAT. Thus, the Eldy "patrons" are beneficent patrons to their market base, especially if they are an "elderly" base, and have functional difficulties. I might note that someone too ignorant to run Windows likely won't fare much better with a dumbed down Linux. It would be cheaper to simply pick up the telephone. Or use the Post.

It is the "ly" on "elder" that tends to patronizing in the second unfavorable sense, since "elderly" implicitly denotes degraded faculties. "Seniors" or "Elders" is a more fitting term and denotes being worthy of respect. The addition of the definitive article "the" also adds to the mix.

This forum is "patronizing" in the first good sense. Certain members act as "patrons" to those needing assistance with difficulties. That is "patronage", the helpers are "patrons" and those who are asking for help "patronize" the forum. Some other forums tend to be patronizing in the second, derogatory sense, or a mix of the two forms.

I am a Senior, an Elder, older than Husse. I do not regard myself as "elderly". I still have several good punches and kicks left. I take no medications. My drivers license does not bear the restriction "glasses".

Since much of the world is now possessing a majority Elder population, this lighthearted discussion will not be the norm in the near future. It is not the norm already in many places.

Return to “Chat about Linux”