Trouble networking with Win XP Pro computer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Trouble networking with Win XP Pro computer

Post by Husse »

Can you browse the other computer from Firefox?
Or can you just see it?
You should have the same workgroup name and I think password in both computers
I think XP defaults to "Workgroup" (and please note that the case of letters are important) and you should make the Mint computer member of the same workgroup
Here's the link to a howto for Samba
Use Advanced Search to search for samba or most any networking thing and the user miket
He is by far the most knowledgeable person in the forum but has turned to farming in France so he is not here very often any more
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tomast

Post by tomast »

I have to change my firewall setting from DENY to ALLOW
I guess there is a way in the firewall to open the door but I never
looked. I just change it for access and then change it back later... ;-)

T
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you mean the ufw firewall that is included in Mint it is very easy to make exceptions for certain IP adresses and ranges
tomast

Post by tomast »

Husse ,
Yes that's what I meant.
But I use Mint as a trouble shooter with so many different
systems and networks I just never looked into it... :-)
Works for me... ;-)

Tom

Return to “Beginner Questions”